Green Key sees lower arrest rate

Three students were arrested last weekend, Safety and Security director Harry Kinne said, which marked the lowest number in recent history. This year’s Green Key weekend saw the usual boost in campus police activity, Kinne said, and most calls were related to alcohol.

Between Friday afternoon and 6 a.m. Sunday morning, Safety and Security received 51 calls, Kinne said. During last year’s Green Key, Safety and Security filed 54 reports, though Kinne did not say at the time how many calls were made overall.

Eleven students were brought to Dick’s House under the Good Samaritan policy over the weekend, and 10 went directly to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center. Kinne noted that these numbers were not finalized.

At least two individuals who were the subject of calls were not students, Kinne said.

Other calls to Safety and Security were made regarding injuries sustained over the weekend, Kinne said. The most common injury reported was falling and experiencing head injury, mostly due to intoxication, Kinne said.

There was also an incident involving a student who fell off of the fire escape of Psi Upsilon fraternity on Wednesday night and broke her ankle and cut her chin, Kinne said.

Psi U was not put on temporary suspension immediately following the accident, College spokesperson Justin Anderson said Thursday.

The fraternity did not respond to requests for comment by press time.

The student-run Dartmouth Emergency Medical Services put extra effort into preparing for the weekend, director Ethan Thomas ’14 wrote in an email. He said that while EMS does not release the number of calls it received, the group worked from Thursday afternoon to Sunday morning. At times, he wrote, EMS had multiple crews on duty at once.

Two of the three arrests were for assault. One man assaulted a Safety and Security officer at Phi Delta Alpha fraternity’s Block Party on Friday afternoon, and another assaulted three other men. The second incident is still under investigation.

Hanover Police could not be reached for comment by press time.

This year saw a significant decrease in arrests from Green Key weekend 2013, during which Hanover Police arrested 17 people from Wednesday through Sunday. The same number were arrested in 2012, and Safety and Security responded to 36 emergency calls that year.

Hanover Police “dealt with” 17 individuals in 2011, most of whom were intoxicated, but not all were arrested, then-Hanover Police chief Nicholas Giaccone said at the time. That year, Safety and Security received over 60 emergency calls concerning incidents ranging from false fire alarms to drug use.

No students were arrested in 2010, following Hanover Police’s institution of the Alcohol Diversion program, an alcohol education program that arrested students can pursue instead of court action. The policy change meant Good Samaritan calls no longer entailed arrests.

Hanover Police arrested 11 students in both 2008 and 2009, seven in 2007, and 12 in 2006.

The department received three calls about sexual assaults in 2012 but would not comment on the number of calls reporting sexual assault last year.