Editors' Note

Both of us agree that this upcoming weekend consistently proves one of the highlights of the spring term party scene. While Green Key is quite the sensational, wild experience, five days of raging can prove a tad exhausting. Pigstick and Derby weekend has its own unique perks and acts as the perfect prelude to our big spring weekend.

The low build up of expectations, the smaller time commitment and equally merry level of raging is more up our alley.

Neither of us is cool enough to be invited to Derby this year or last. But we make do with whatever scraps of social capital we have. Last year, Jasmine experienced her first Pigstick. When she arrived at the scene, debuting a new floral romper, she was amazed at what she saw: beer literally flying through the air seemingly in slow motion, students dancing scandalously on a makeshift stage, Collis Ray whipping up masterpieces on the grill, the band playing a cover of a classic Queen song. It was everything she had ever imagined a college party should be but had never experienced before. So much facetime, so much pig, so much inclusivity. She was having so much fun that she didn’t even mind when an inebriated ’13 fell on top of her from atop the lifeguard chair.

At her freshman-year Pigstick, Emma was accompanied by several of her friends’ parents and did not get the memo about sundresses. Thus, she was excluded from the throngs of exuberant partygoers, left wondering why everyone in the yard next door was wearing weird sunhats. Last year’s Pigstick was slightly better, but the highlight of her day was shedding her sundress, diving into the BG mud pit and terrifying younger siblings visiting for parents’ weekend. Pigstick has taught her two things: 1) she does not enjoy taking happy springtime pictures with everyone she has ever met, and 2) when caked in mud, she bears an uncanny resemblance to Gollum.

So go forth and frolic, whether you are the cool ’14 who will make an appearance at every invite-only party this weekend or the clueless ’17 who didn’t know that anything about this weekend was special until you read this. And start planning a hike for your parents from 1 to 5 p.m. on Saturday.