Hanlon announces summit, steering committee to reform College social issues

A summit of student leaders, faculty, administrators, trustees and alumni will meet tonight to discuss ways to mitigate high-risk and harmful behaviors, College President Phil Hanlon announced in an email Wednesday afternoon.

Hanlon also announced the formation of a steering committee consisting of students, faculty, administration and alumni who will gather “the best solutions to help us achieve a more fundamental level of reform that reaches every place on our campus where social activities occur."

The committee, which will focus on ways to end harmful behaviors in high-risk drinking, sexual assault and inclusivity, will report its findings and propose further steps for the College at November’s Board of Trustees meeting.

“Dartmouth’s promise is being hijacked by high-risk and harmful behaviors, behaviors that are hurting too many of our students, dividing us as a community and distracting from our important work of teaching and learning," Hanlon said in the email.

Dartmouth Roots, a two-year program for juniors and seniors that helps moderate the Improve Dartmouth website, will facilitate the summit tonight.