Alumnus charged with assault following Parkhurst disturbance

4.15.14.news.parkhurst
4.15.14.news.parkhurst

David Vincelette ’84, 57, was arrested by Hanover Police Monday afternoon after causing a disturbance in the reception area of College President Phil Hanlon’s office and assaulting Safety and Security director Harry Kinne, Hanover Police chief Frank Moran said. After his arrival, Parkhurst Hall was locked down, College media relations officer Shea Drefs said in an emailed statement.

Vincelette was charged with disorderly conduct for disrupting the flow of business and simple assault for forcibly shoving Kinne, Moran said. He was released on $5,000 bail and is scheduled to appear in the New Hampshire 2nd Circuit Court on May 19. He has been ordered to remain off College property.

Safety and Security received a call from the President’s Office around12:45 p.m.and responded with five officers, Kinne said. Hanover Police received a call from the President’s Office around the same time regarding a man who was “out of control,” Moran said.

Vincelette was acting “aggressive and very disorderly,” Kinne said, and when Safety and Security officers approached him, Vincelette struck Kinne in the chest. Safety and Security officers restrained Vincelette until Hanover Police arrived at the scene.

As he was escorted out of Parkhurst, Vincelette exclaimed, “Dartmouth is the polluter.”

Hanover Police is still investigating Vincelette’s motivations, but Moran said Vincelette has an “ongoing dispute” with the Town of Hanover over the use of recycled asphalt on town roads.

In the past, Vincellete has stated concerns regarding the pollution of Mink Brook and other waterways.

“We don’t know with certainty that that was the topic,” Moran said. “But that has been his concern of late.”

Vincelette, who owns property on Lebanon St., has expressed concerns that run off from recycled asphalt and snow dumps containing salt and sand are polluting local waterways, Hanover town manager Julia Griffin said. He has identified Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center’s snow dump located east of Jesse’s Restaurant, in particular, as a source of contamination, she said.

Though she did not know Vincelette’s reason for visiting Parkhurst Monday, Griffin said it was “not unusual behavior for [Vincelette].”

At a meeting last week, Vincelette presented complaints to the Hanover Conservation Commission.

“The town’s position is that we’re in compliance with state regulations,” Griffin said.

In 2012, Vincelette unsuccessfully sued the Town of Hanover in Grafton County Superior Court regarding asphalt waste contamination.

Vincelette could not be reached for comment by press time.