$7 million in donations to endow four coaching positions

Recent alumni donations totaling $7 million bring the College’s athletics department within $10 million of its $20 million fundraising goal, and will be used to endow the head coaches of men’s hockey, men’s heavyweight rowing, women’s alpine skiing and women’s rowing.

The donations by the Koenig family, Betsy and Mark Gates ’59, the Jenny family and an anonymous donor mean that the athletic department has now raised $11.5 million of its $20 million goal and has endowed 10 of 30 total head coaching positions, according to a College press release.

Brad Koenig ’80 is the cofounder and CEO of FoodyDirect.com and the inaugural chair of the Dartmouth Athletics Advisory Board, which aims to strengthen coaching, facilities and academic support.

Mark Gates rowed for the Big Green during his time at the College and founded the Gates Land Company, a real estate development firm based in Palo Alto, Calif.

Chris Jenny ’77 endowed the Anny Jenny Head Coach of Women’s Alpine Skiing in memory of his grandmother, who won the first-ever National Ski Championship in 1905. Jenny is currently president and senior partner at the Parthenon Group and also a member of the Dartmouth Athletics Advisory Board.

Six other coaching positions at the College ­— football, men’s and women’s squash, men’s and women’s golf, and men’s and women’s track and field — are already endowed.