Spring break in brief: Men’s hockey swept in ECAC second round

The men’s ice hockey team finished its season March 15 after a two-game sweep at the hands of the Union College Dutchmen. This was the second consecutive year in which the Dutchmen (28-6-4, 18-3-1 ECAC) eliminated the Big Green (10-20-4, 7-13-2 ECAC) in the quarterfinals.

On March 14, Union ripped 18 shots at Dartmouth goalie Charles Grant ’16 in the first period, hitting 42 for the entire game. The Big Green survived the early onslaught to get to the second frame tied 0-0. Union broke into the scoring column in the middle frame and added two in the third to seal the 3-0 win. The decisive moment came when senior Daniel Carr netted a penalty shot to give Union a 2-0 lead. He added an empty netter just over a minute later to seal the game.

The second game felt very different, as the Big Green outshot the Dutchmen 35-31. The Dartmouth men held a 2-1 lead after the first period on the strength of two power play goals by Brandon McNally ’15 and Tim O’Brien ’16.

Yet the lead did not last. Carr tied the game with his third of the weekend with just 1:15 left in the second. Just over nine minutes into the final frame, Union scored and then, with 52 seconds left, added an empty net goal to seal the game and the series.