M.D./Ph.D. program to continue, reversing past Geisel decision

The Geisel School of Medicine’s M.D./Ph.D. program will recruit and accept applications for future classes, reversing a decision revealed earlier this month.

Geisel dean Wiley Souba announced the decision in an email to Geisel faculty, staff and students on Thursday morning.

The program will aim to matriculate two students this fall and two additional students in fall 2015, Souba said in the email. This will coincide with an internal review of the program conducted by faculty and students to identify best practices and funding sources at peer institutions.

In a previous interview, Souba said that admissions were suspended to allow the administration to examine the program and determine its optimal size. He cited the program’s cost as a reason behind the decision, as Geisel’s program is not funded by the National Institutes of Health.

When the decision to suspend the program was first revealed, around 1,000 students and faculty signed a petition outlining concerns. Twenty-five students are currently working toward their M.D./Ph.D. degree, which aims to train physician-scientists.