Led by Nordic team, ski team places second at Williams Carnival

2.10.14.sports.cf3
2.10.14.sports.cf3

The ski team continued its streak of second-place finishes at the Williams Carnival last weekend, coming in behind the University of Vermont for the fourth time this season. Dartmouth’s 834 points left it 136 short of UVM’s total but nearly 200 points ahead of third-place Middlebury College.

The Nordic team led the way for the Big Green, as the men won both events and the women finished second. The Dartmouth men took the 3x5-kilometer relay handily thanks to a team of Fabian Stocek ’17, Silas Talbot ’15 and Patrick Caldwell ’17, finishing 33.2 seconds ahead of the closest team from UVM. Talbot’s time of 9:25.1 was the fastest lap by any competitor.

Another Big Green relay team finished second, just over a second off the pace set by the top skiers.

In the men’s 10-kilometer classic race, Caldwell and Talbot topped the podium again. Stocek finished fifth. The race was Caldwell’s first individual collegiate carnival victory.

On the women’s side, the relay team of Annie Hart ’14, Emily Hannah ’16 and Corey Stock ’16 finished second behind UVM with a time of 36:27.7.

Hart led the team again in the 5-kilometer classic race with a fourth-place finish.

On the slopes at Jiminy Peak, the team was less successful, the best results being second-place finishes in the women’s slalom and giant slalom.

Lizzie Kistler ’16 led the way for Dartmouth with a fourth-place finish and combined time of 1:46.48. Abby Fucigna ’15 finished in sixth after cutting nearly one and a half seconds off of her first run time to finish with a combined time of 1:47.04.

On Saturday in the slalom, Maisie Ide ’16 was the top finisher for the Big Green in fifth place, followed by Sara Kikut ’16 in seventh.

The men struggled in the giant slalom, finishing in sixth. Dylan Brooks ’17 was the top Big Green skier, earning a combined time of 1:45.69 and 13th place.

In Saturday’s slalom, the Big Green had three racers in the top 15. Morse took fifth with a time of 1:35.72 while Dylan Fisher McCarney ’15 and Mathieu Bertrand ’14 finished 13th and 14th, respectively.

Next week the team travels to Middlebury College for the EISA Championships and NCAA East Regional.