Increased snow boosts Skiway turnout

2.24.14.news.skiway
2.24.14.news.skiway

Since the ski season began on Dec. 14, the Dartmouth Skiway has received 60 inches of snow, putting an end to a pattern of mild winters. After one of the snowiest seasons in recent years, the Skiway has seen high attendance and opened access to all 31 trails.

Despite the amount of natural snowfall the Skiway received this season, snowmaking has remained consistent with previous years because the Skiway cannot predict when or how much natural snow it will receive, said Skiway manager Doug Holler.

As of Feb. 23, New Hampshire has received 67 inches of snowfall, compared to an average 52 inches over the past three years, according to New Hampshire Public Radio.

While the season started with abundant natural snowfall, certain trails closed later this term due to weather fluctuations and rainy spells. The closings represent a typical trend, Holler said. About 95 percent of the trails that use manufactured snow have been open for the season, but many of the natural trails reopened last week after a period of warm weather, Holler said.

The Skiway has seen an increase in the number of visitors since last year, he said. Large quantities of snow, like the storm that hit around Feb. 14, help boost Skiway business.

Many Dartmouth students said they have taken advantage of the extra snowfall by frequenting the Skiway more often this season.

Ski patrol member Sutton Higgins ’15 said that the trail conditions have been the best since she joined the patrol.

“We have a lot more snow this year, including some powder days,” she said.

Powder, considered one of the most desirable conditions for skiing, refers to fresh, unpacked snow with a low moisture content.

Both Higgins and ski patrol member Brett Teplitz ’15 said that they have spent more of their free time than usual at the Skiway this season, even when they are not working.

Kenzie Clark ’17 also said she has gone to the Skiway frequently this winter, noting that conditions have improved since the beginning of the term.

Mary Peng ’15, who visited the Skiway on Feb. 15, said that while some trails were slightly bumpy due to the extra snow, she found conditions to be better than they had been in prior trips she took. In past years, she said, the lack of snowfall has made for icy conditions.

Generally, however, Peng said she finds the Skiway to be well-maintained and feels safe with the ski patrol keeping watch.

Decreased attendance in past years has had financial repercussions for the Skiway because of reduced profits from lessons, rental equipment and the cafeteria.

Despite the increase in visitors and the costs of snow-making, Skiway prices have remained the same throughout the season. Dartmouth students pay $99 for a season pass regardless of when in the winter they purchase it. While the Skiway also provides reduced prices for Dartmouth and Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center employees, season passes for the general public range from $365 to $525, depending on age.

The Dartmouth Skiway is expected to close in late March, but the specific date depends on future snow conditions.