Phi Sigma Nu approaches approval

1.9.14.news.phisigmanu
1.9.14.news.phisigmanu

Though Preston Wells ’15 has worked for over a year to establish a charter of the historically Native American fraternity Phi Sigma Nu at Dartmouth, he said the fact that the organization is coming to fruition feels surreal. Wells and two other students received provisional approval to form a chapter from the fraternity’s chief council last November, and members say they hope to receive an official College charter by this fall.

Greek Letter Organizations and Societies has not yet recognized the fraternity due to a requirement that all Greek organizations have at least four active members on campus, but students say they hope to fulfill this requirement by the end of spring term.

Wells said he plans to work with Alpha Pi Omega, a historically Native American sorority, to host an informal interest meeting for new members this term, though two of the three Phi Sigma Nu brothers are off campus.

Wells said that the small size of the College’s Native American male population has made it difficult to meet the four-member requirement. The number of potential candidates for Phi Sigma Nu shrinks significantly after eliminating first-year students and men that are already affiliated, he said.

Prospective members must complete a nationally standardized six-step application process, which includes an informal interest meeting, a letter of recommendation from a professor, a resume and a work schedule. Current members then ask promising applicants to return for both individual and group interviews before extending bids.

When a new member accepts a bid, he must participate in a five-week intake process that suggests a nutritionally, mentally and spiritually healthy lifestyle. There is also a focus on academics for new members, with the fraternity promoting hard work in classes and meeting with professors.

Freshmen may complete all parts of the application process, though they are not allowed to undergo the intake process until sophomore year, as stipulated by GLOS policy.

“The application is a part of another thing I love about Phi Sigma Nu — it’s not just a four year commitment, but you are affiliated for the rest of your life,” he said. “It’s a brotherhood organization that, when it comes to helping out the community and helping out family, all these things vital to the organization, you are continuing in your life after Dartmouth.”

The student body has generally been supportive of the fraternity, especially during fundraising initiatives, Wells said.

Despite having to pay for national fraternity representatives to come to campus, Wells said the chapter is in good financial standing from fundraising efforts and assistance from other groups. College organizations such as the Native American Program and the National Association of Latino Fraternal Organizations, a subgroup of the Greek Leadership Council, applied for funding on behalf of Phi Sigma Nu. Wells and Christina Goodson ’14 both expressed hope that Native American organizations will eventually have their own GLC subcouncils.

Native American Program director Kapi’olani Laronal said she was impressed that the students took on the project largely by themselves.

“They’re small now, but I think they’re going to grow and develop into a large group,” she said.

Wells said he had the idea to start a Native American fraternity during his freshman spring and learned of Phi Sigma Nu from Goodson, the president of Alpha Pi Omega, which was chartered by the College in 2006.

During Well’s first term at Dartmouth, the campus lacked a place for Native American men to socialize, he said.

“The Native American House was there, but even in Native American meetings, there were very few Native men there,” Wells said. “The only time that I was around more than five Native men was probably in a frat basement.”

The chapter is currently based in the Native American House, but has considered applying for an apartment in the River Cluster.

Nationally, Phi Sigma Nu emphasizes academic and physical wellness as well as community service. The house must hold two community service events per year, send a representative to the organization’s national convention and establish a chapter constitution.

Goodson said she is hopeful about the fraternity’s future community service contributions.

Wells said Phi Sigma Nu is unique because it is a fraternity based on the culture and morals of Native Americans. Although the fraternity is historically Native American, any male student is eligible to join, regardless of race, ethnicity or religion, Wells said.

Founded in 1996 at the University of North Carolina at Pembroke, Phi Sigma Nu currently has seven fully recognized chapters.

This article has been updated to reflect the following correction:

Correction appended: January 14, 2014

The original version of the article said that Wells called the fraternity unique because it was based on the culture and morals of Native Americans at Dartmouth, which is incorrect. The fraternity is based on Native American culture and morals.