College to host IvyQ conference

1.7.14.news.IvyQ
1.7.14.news.IvyQ

The College will host its first IvyQ conference in the fall, bringing to campus hundreds of participants whose presence organizers hope will improve awareness of and support for the Dartmouth’s LGBTQ community. The conference, open to LGBTQ and allied students, connects students with one another and aims to foster an LGBTQ community larger than those of individual schools.

During the conference’s three days of workshops and activities, participants will discuss the history of the LGBTQ movement and collaborate with peers across universities.

Beyond building connections between conference participants, Dartmouth IvyQ aims to push the entire student body to develop a greater understanding of the LGBTQ community, co-chair Kelsey Weimer ’16 said.

“In hosting this conference, I am hoping to create a better community on our campus with a more supportive, knowledgeable and aware student body,” she said.

Elizabeth Southwell ’15, who plans to attend her first IvyQ conference this fall, said the College compares poorly to its Ivy League peers in terms of LGBTQ awareness. The conference will allow Dartmouth students to meet people who are “more out and proud,” she said.

The IvyQ conference has the potential to temporarily create a queer environment far stronger than Dartmouth’s, said Zachary Myslinski ’15, who attended Yale University’s conference last year.

The Real Talk protests during last spring’s Dimensions show and the ensuing discussions about campus culture show the College is working toward a safer and more accommodating environment, Weimer said. The conference, she said, then comes at an ideal time for the College.

“Real Talk showed the willingness of our student body to engage,” she said. “Dartmouth’s community is progressing and we are proud to share that with IvyQ.”

To nab the bid for the conference, first hosted by the University of Pennsylvania in spring 2010, planners had to submit an application that explained why Dartmouth should host the conference, as well as detailing its logistical preparations. Nearly 500 students attended the 2012 conference at Brown University, according to IvyQ’s website.

The conference requires a year’s worth of planning, Weimer said. The planning team will handle finances, social events, dining, lodging and security.

The social events organizers will work with student groups such as Friday Night Rock to organize activities. Alumni Hall, Top of the Hop and Sarner Underground will be used as venues for various nighttime events.

Transparency will be crucial to the planning process, Weimer said. Meetings will be open to anyone who wishes to attend.

Southwell, who has never been to an IvyQ conference, said she is excited for Dartmouth to host the event. In the past, the conference has overlapped with College big weekends, and Southwell chose to stay at Dartmouth.

“It is hard to choose between Dartmouth and the other side of myself that I would like to explore more,” Southwell said.

Hosting the conference in Hanover will increase Dartmouth student participation, she said.

Dartmouth’s IvyQ conference will coincide with two related campus events: the opening of Triangle House, an affinity house for LGBTQ students and allies, and the 30th anniversary of the Dartmouth Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Alumni/ae Association. Association members are enthusiastic to help with the event, Weimer said.

Princeton University will host the next IvyQ conference from Feb. 6-9.