Student Spotlight: Kwame Ohene-Adu '14

On a Wednesday night that term, Ohene-Adu and his band, which included three other members of the Class of 2014, set up a show with the Soul Scribes in One Wheelock.

"It was pretty successful, but at the time I thought it would just be a one-time thing," Ohene-Adu said. "But talking more with my boss and members of Collis Governing Board, I realized that it could be a more sustained venture, so I devoted more time to it and Kwame's Open Mic was born."

At the beginning, Ohene-Adu emailed individuals he thought might be excited to perform and organized a set list based on student interest every Wednesday night.

With the event's increasing popularity, Ohene-Adu now sends campus emails, inviting diverse performers from across class years.

Ohene-Adu has an extensive musical background, having played the drums in a high school jazz band and currently singing in X.ado, Dartmouth's Christian co-ed a cappella group.

While Ohene-Adu still tries to play at Open Mic on occasion, his job usually entails arranging and hosting the event, announcing acts and sorting out sound or technical issues on stage.

Kwame said he hopes Open Mic Night will serve as a platform for independent student artists to expose their material to a wider audience.

"I feel like it is really hard finding support for people that are not part of any of the Hop ensembles or aren't doing music in a more academic sense, so the Open Mic gives [students] the chance to perform their works," Ohene-Adu said.

While Ohene-Adu was initially aiming to attract students interested in playing music or reciting poetry, he decided to expand the talent base to include genres as stand-up comedy.

"Now it is pretty much anything goes," Ohene-Adu said. "I get performers with different talents from beatboxing to just reading a poem they really like from a book, or even just telling stories."

One moment that stands out is an Open Mic last spring, when the last performer came on stage just as a popular act was clearing the stage and the crowd was starting to disperse.

When everyone least expected it, he "laid down the sickest beats I've ever heard from any beatboxer here at Dartmouth," Ohene-Adu said. "Everyone just froze in their spots to listen, it was amazing!"

Ohene-Adu said he hopes moments like this will continue to transpire on the Open Mic stage, as they represent the program's spirit by capturing the talent, passion and spontaneity of students.

As Ohene-Adu prepares to graduate, his ultimate wish is for the Open Mic legacy to be carried on. "I think a whole lot of people have benefitted from Open Mic, both Dartmouth students and townies alike, so it would be really cool to keep it going," he said.