Spa, bank to occupy 68 S. Main St. space

Downtown Hanover will have notable additions and absences by the winter, with new businesses jockeying for vacancies left in the spaces formerly occupied by the Mountain Goat and the Wine Crate.

In December, the European Face and Body Studio is projected to open its doors on 68 South Main St., offering skin treatment, massages and a spray tanning room.

The rest of the Mountain Goat's old storefront will be occupied by the Lake Sunapee Bank, which is vacating its current premises at 12 South St. in February 2014, bank employee Cindy Peck said.

Hanover Chamber of Commerce executive director Janet Rebman declined to comment on the business expected to occupy the bank's original location.

Originally from the Netherlands, European Face and Body Studio owner Annemarie Schmidt has worked in skin care for 28 years and enjoys helping people through her work.

"Whether they are a teenager, someone who is pregnant, or is aging, helping them get the results they are looking for in terms of acne and pigmentation is very rewarding," Schmidt said.

Schmidt also owns a spa in Lebanon.

Just down the street, the Wine Crate shuttered its doors earlier this year.

Hanover town manager Julia Griffin said frequent business turnover is not atypical for a small college town.

The Mountain Goat had a hard time competing with larger chain stores such as Eastern Mountain Sports and online businesses, which could offer larger inventories.

The Wine Crate may have suffered from competition from the Hanover Co-op Food Store and a wine store in Norwich.

Businesses in that particular location have previously had difficulty staying afloat because the space is not visible from the street, Griffin added.

Schmidt predicts her spa will provide a boon to hotel owners by increasing tourism traffic in the area.

Local business owners and employees agreed that the addition of this type of business could fill a void in Hanover.

Rare Essentials employee Linda Stern said Hanover is an ideal location for a spa.

"Currently people have to go to West Lebanon or White River Junction to have that type of pampering," she said. "It is also very convenient if someone were giving a speech or are herefor a conference and just want some relaxation time."

Indigo owner Mia Vogt said customers often ask her where they can find beauty treatment centers.

Students welcomed the addition of a local business offering spa services.

"I would love to go there, especially for a massage after finals," Anna Noreuil '16 said.

The Dartmouth real estate office, through its subsidiary South Street Downtown Holdings, owns the building that will house the European Face and Body Studio and the Lake Sunapee Bank.

The Mountain Goat closed not only its Hanover franchise, but its flagship store in Northampton, Mass.