Rhimes '91 joins Kennedy board

On the small screen, Shonda Rhimes '91 is behind hospital take-overs, infant kidnappings and Oval Office affairs. Following an appointment by President Barack Obama last week, Rhimes will soon bring her creativity to the Board of Trustees of the John F.Kennedy Centerfor the Performing Arts.

Rhimes, an English and creative writing major at the College, is the show runner for three hits on ABC, including "Grey's Anatomy," "Private Practice" and "Scandal."

An appointment to the Kennedy Center board is a major accomplishment for an artist, theater department chair Daniel Kotlowitz said. The Kennedy Center plays the role of a national theater in the United States, particularly with its location in the nation's capitol, and Kotlowitz said Rhimes could have a key role in diversifying the projects that are produced in the theater.

"In general, the theater in the U.S. is a little bit closed, and it's not always representative of the broad context of people that exist here," he said.

Theater major Amber Porter '14, who interned at the Kennedy Center last year, saw the impact that board members have at the center.

"Having Dartmouth alumni who have been successful in the industry definitely means a lot because people who are interested in theater at Dartmouth are sometimes given a hard time," she said. "People ask why we come to Dartmouth and pay tuition to major in theater. I think it just shows that if you believe in the power of art and you believe in what you're doing, you can get there."

Porter said she looks to Rhimes as a leader in the film community.

"I think it's really important that the Kennedy Center has more diverse voices on their board, especially from someone like Shonda, who's been such a pioneer in the field," Porter said.

Trustees chosen alongside Rhimes include Carlyle Group CEO David Rubenstein, Empire Global Ventures CEO Alexandra Stanton, Chicago art gallery owner Amalia Pera Mahoney, Frank Islam Investment Group CEO Frank Islam and Entravision Communications CEO Walter Ulloa.

"I am grateful that these impressive individuals have chosen to dedicate their talents to serving the American people at this important time for our country," Obama said in a statement. "I look forward to working with them in the months and years ahead."

At Dartmouth, Rhimes was the director of the Black Underground Theatre Association. She went on to study at the University of Southern California Schoolof Cinematic Arts, where she earned her master's and was awarded the Gary Rosenberg Writing Fellowship.

"I was really active in BUTA, and we did a lot of our plays in the Bentley [Theater]," Rhimes said in a previous interview with The Dartmouth. "Directing plays is very much running a show, in that sense. We did it sort of large scale and really enjoyed it. It taught me a lot about storytelling. I was a creative writing major and wrote about half of a novel for my senior thesis, but other than that I spent most of my time in the theater department."

Rhimes rose to fame with her hit drama "Grey's Anatomy," which began its 10th season last week, and its spin-off, "Private Practice." The third season of the political thriller "Scandal" begins tomorrow.