Day of Caring sees record turnout

Students gather in Collis Common Ground for the opening of Day of Caring.

Helen Damon-Moore, Tucker Foundation director of service and educational programs director, said that some of the typical projects from previous Days of Caring did not continue this year.

"It was more outdoor-oriented because [United Way] thought that Dartmouth students would be good at that," she said.

Students and Tucker staff worked across the Upper Valley on projects including landscaping at Upper Valley Haven, a homeless shelter in White River Junction, gardening work at the Morrill Homestead in Strafford, the Source to Sea Cleanup on the Connecticut River and several trailwork projects in Quechee State Park.

In addition to organizing the morning's schedule, Damon-Moore joined 10 students who worked with the Upper Valley Trails Alliance on Gile Mountain Trail. The group constructed steps on the trail, using a pulley system to move boulders weighing 600 pounds. The trail sees about 10,000 visitors every year. The group met several College alumni and undergraduates hiking the trail while they were building steps, Damon-Moore said.

Emily Dollar '14, student director for public relations at Tucker and a first-time participant in Damon-Moore's group, said the event was a chance to give back to the community using physical labor.

"It was cool to get to do something with our hands that was really making a difference in the community," Dollar said.

Also working on the Gile Mountain Trail was Aaron Goldman '15, who said he would participate in future Days of Caring and recommended the event to others.

Participants met at Collis Common Ground on Saturday morning before heading off to their various projects. College President Phil Hanlon was among six speakers to introduce the event.

"President Hanlon and his wife came to the very beginning and talked about what service meant to them," Dollar said. "They talked about United Way specifically and what a great organization it is. That was really exciting and it definitely meant a lot and it set an exciting tone for the day to have such important people on campus really validate what we were doing."

United Way is a nationwide nonprofit that focuses on community service. Dartmouth has been collaborating with Granite United Way, the organization's Upper Valley arm, for 40 years.

"The Day of Caring is a nationwide United Way activity that Dartmouth and United Way have collaborated on for the past four years," Damon-Moore said. "It is a way to engage folks in their own community to make a difference to not-for-profit organizations."

In addition to the highest turnout the Day of Caring has seen in its four years at the College, the event spanned two days this year instead of its usual one. The program began Friday, when local business owners and employees worked on projects, followed by Dartmouth students on Saturday. In addition, this year's Day of Caring was held two weeks earlier than in 2012, providing weather more conducive to this year's outdoor service.

The College funds about 30 percent of what Granite United Way raises in a year, she said. Dartmouth's capital campaign for United Way began recently, with a goal of raising $300,000 this term.

"Our giving is a major part of what happens in our area," Damon-Moore said.

Damon-Moore said though outdoor-focused projects are likely to happen on the Day of Caring in the future, each year's projects are fluid and varied.

"Every year we look at what the needs are and plan according to those, because we really want to meet community need," she said.