College radio sees wide growth, digital transition

This term, Dartmouth College Radio has purchased new furniture, soundboards and a 65-inch television and is ready to continue its legacy that is over 55 years old. There's plenty of pressure, as its public affairs show "Valley Voice" has entertained important New Hampshire politicians including former Governor John Lynch and former Senator Judd Gregg. Additionally, the network has invited the likes of gold medalists Julie Foudy, a member of the women's national soccer team, and freestyle skier Hannah Kearney '15 as well as NHL player Ben Lovejoy '06.

The radio manages 99 Rock, a modern alternative rock station; Dartmouth College Radio, home to general-interest shows; and Dartmouth Sports Network. The broadcasting market is enormous and not slowing down, even at the local level.

"99 Rock is one of the largest and most listened to stations in the Upper Valley," general manager Shane O'Neal '14 said.

For the first time, the radio team is managing advertising sales by selling ads to local businesses. At the same time, the stations are focusing on recruiting more students to join its team.

"The best way to get students listening to our programming is to get them involved in making it," said Gilbert Whalen '14, assistant general manager.

The radio collaborates with student organizations and music-related events to raise awareness of its brand.

"The opportunity to work side-by-side at a commercial business with industry professionals who can provide real world' business insights to students is an extracurricular experience you can't get anywhere else on campus," Whalen said.

The team hopes to promote the stations' online channels better so that more students will listen to games and shows on their computers, and is looking for a lead web designer to help launch an updated site this year. Many students attempt to listen to the shows but are unable to navigate through the webpage.

O'Neal said he has enjoyed managing the radio as a form of preprofessional experience that is still entirely student-run.

"Anyone can run a show if they sign up and get trained on how to use the equipment," O'Neal said. "The content really varies anything from people playing their favorite electronic music to people just going on and having a little talk show."

Julio Resendiz '17 is a regular listener of the Dartmouth Sports Network.

"I've always been interested and I'm glad that you can make a show pretty much whenever you want," Resendiz said.