Things at Dartmouth That We Wish Came with Instructions

DINING

The 20-meal plan is difficult to master. Once I realized that my fear of not having a 21-meal plan was pretty irrational, I still found myself with too little or too many meal swipes at the end of the week. Keep track of how many meal swipes you have by asking a cashier after swiping, looking online or getting the iPhone app "Dining at Dartmouth."

Try all of the different dining halls. Freshman fall, I went to FoCo for most of my meals because it was effortless with the meal plan. I didn't realize that Collis and the Hop were just as easy. When you go to a meal at primetime 12 to 1 p.m. for lunch and 6 to 7 p.m. for dinner it might be intimidating because of the large crowds. Brave out the lines at Collis, and you can order exactly what you want. Depending on the time of day, you can custom order omelets, stir-fry or pasta.

While on-campus dining is very convenient, there are so many great off-campus options. Try going to Lou's, Molly's, Market Table, Murphy's or Yama. You can also stock up your personal pantry at CVS, open 24 hours a day.

DORM LIFE

After you have gotten the dorm essentials, there are a few items that make life at Dartmouth a bit easier.

Mini-fridge: Whether you are storing leftovers or chilling drinks, there are endless reasons to have a refrigerator. If you think that your room is too small, try raising your mattress and keeping the refrigerator under your bed.

Shower basket: I found out the hard way that leaving shampoo and conditioner in the bathroom is not the best option. While it is convenient to leave your stuff in the bathroom, it is an open invitation for others to use your stuff and it is a fast way to make enemies with your community director.

Tupperware: Tupperware is always useful. I suggest getting lots. Even if you do not use it to store food, you can always use it for organization.

Printer: A printer is the most overrated thing to have in a dorm-room. While it is nice to have a printer, Greenprint is in most buildings and is usually reliable.

STUDY SPOTS

The library presents a two-fold dilemma: figuring out where to work and what the etiquette for working in that place is. At the end of the day, college is an academic experience and you'll find yourself rotating a few of your favorite spots on campus for some reliable variety.

When I have a day's work ahead of me, I gauge my amount and type of work I have and the degree to which I'm willing to be social. Here are a few staples to explore, though myriad others exist on our lovely campus.

Library:

First-Floor Berry: Lovingly called FFB, this is a great place if you want to see and be seen by others, as well as get work done at a big table with easy access to Novack Cafe and King Arthur Flour.

Fourth Floor Berry: The antithesis of FFB, this is the place for some one-on-one time with your books. The lack of access to water, a bathroom, food and others will definitely get you crunching.

Stacks: While you definitely won't be distracted by your friends in the stacks, you will probably leave feeling in need of a hug or some other form of social contact. Ideal for crushing a paper that's due in a few hours, and there may be more than reference materials to spark your interest in the bookshelves.

For an all-nighter: Novack and the 1902 Room are open 24 hours to suit your needs.

Other hideaway spots: Periodicals, East Asia Room, Tower Room, Sherman Art Library, Rauner Special Collections, a Baker-Berry study room (you can book one on the library's website).Other:

Life Sciences Center: If you have a biology class or don't mind walking the distance, the first floor has a comfortable lounge area. If you don't have allergies, you might enjoy soaking in some green in the bleak winter months in the Murdough Greenhouse at the top of the building.

Top of the Hop: Great for reading but no access to tables, so choose your work here accordingly.

Your room.

In Town:

Dirt Cowboy Cafe: Known as our alternative study space, if you're out of DBA and have some change to spare enjoy the best coffee on Main Street at this local gem.

Starbucks: Same deal as Dirt, if you want to give in to capitalist greed. Sometimes the extra table space and access to outlets is worth it.

GOING OUT

As I'm sure you're all aware, this year freshmen will not be allowed into Greek houses until after Homecoming. While we'll miss you in the basements, I have a feeling your "sober" freshman programming will get weird enough to keep you entertained in the meantime. Although this advice may be a bit premature, here are some tidbits some of us had to learn the hard way.

You're a New Englander now, so practicality is key. Put those heels away, and do not wear nice shoes into a frat basement, because I can promise you they will never be the same. Converse and rubber ballet flats are my go-to's.

While your parents may warn you to watch out for the ice in Hanover, I will warn you of the slippery stairs descending into a basement. A bruised tailbone is a travesty to add to a hangover.I love the Earth as much as the next girl, but people might give you strange looks if you try to reuse a cup in the basement.EBAs stops taking orders at 2:10 a.m., so plan your schedule accordingly. EBAs will not hesitate to blacklist you if you consistently fall asleep after you order this isn't a risk you want to take.

EXERCISE

Most students at Dartmouth are quite active compared to their counterparts at a lot of other schools, so here's some advice for all you varsity nappers looking to sweat out that beer and EBAs. If you like to run, definitely take advantage of the beautiful fall foliage and run outside before the winter weather arrives (and it will be here sooner than you think). Avoid the Zimmerman Fitness Center from 3 to 7 p.m. unless you like to socialize at the gym and don't mind waiting for a treadmill.

OTHER FUN ACTIVITIES

After trips, I was so excited to explore the outdoors, but I didn't know where to start. Here are some fun ways to enjoy the great fall weather.

The Connecticut River: The River is great in the first few weeks of fall term. Before the weather gets too cold and your summer tan fades away, grab your swimsuit and head down to the docks. Go swimming with friends or rent canoes from Ledyard.

Picnics: A great excuse to lounge outside. Get takeout from Collis or FoCo and head to the Green or walk to the picnic tables that are down Wheelock Street on the other side of the Connecticut. The Farmer's Market: Every Wednesday during the first few weeks of the fall term, the farmer's market is open from 3 to 5 p.m., weather permitting. You'll find kettle corn, fresh-picked fruit, crpes and other delicious snacks and crafts.