Field hockey team plays first Ivy game

09.30.13.sports.fh
09.30.13.sports.fh

The Big Green dominated both games, outshooting its opponents by a total of 39-22.

The team trailed twice in the game against the Bears (2-4, 0-2 Ivy), who scored twice in the first 20 minutes of the contest, once on a breakaway and once off a penalty corner.

In the 22nd minute, Janine Leger '15 put the Big Green on the board off of a Savage assist from a corner. Just a 1:40 later, Heather Zezzo '17 netted her first career goal off an assist by Sam Anderson '14.

"Heather has never played on the forward line before," Anderson said. "She was so excited, and it got the team really excited seeing her celebrate."

Despite the momentum, the Bears answered just under three and a half minutes later, taking a 3-2 lead into the half.

The Big Green dominated the second half, tallying eight shots to the Bears' three in the first 20 minutes. Dartmouth was finally able to break through and tie the game on a goal by Eliza Becker '16, who slammed a pass from captain Olivia Quaglia '14 into the net for her first collegiate goal.

Dartmouth's victory over Brown was the seventh straight win against the Bears, who have not won a game in the series since the 2006 season.

The remainder of the half was back-and-forth, but, with time winding down, Maggie Scanlon '14 picked up a loose ball and ripped it on net. Her shot beat the Brown goalie, giving the Dartmouth women the lead, and they held on for the last two minutes for their first Ivy win of the season.

"Our ultimate goal is to be number one in the Ivy League," Anderson said. "Unfortunately, we had that loss against Princeton earlier in this season, but this is a step in the right direction. The way we played together, no matter who it was against, this was a big game for us to turn the season around."

The team carried the comeback momentum into its Sunday game up the road in Worcester, Mass., against the Crusaders (2-6, 0-1 Patriot). Much of the first half was hard-fought, with both teams taking four shots.

The momentum changed in the 25th minute, however, when Savage notched her first game off an assist by Scanlon. The floodgates opened and the Big Green tallied two goals in the final 10 minutes of the first half.

Just over two and a half minutes after Savage gave the Big Green the lead, the Crusaders tied the game. The Dartmouth women recaptured momentum just five minutes later with a goal by Scanlon, assisted by Anderson.

The visitors continued their momentum from the first half, but could not increase their lead until the 57th minute, when Savage pounded home a rebound for her second of the game.

Seven minutes later, Becker scored her second goal in as many games, again from Quaglia. Savage completed her second hat trick of the season and fourth of her career in the 69th minute.

The junior was not done, however, as she notched her seventh point of the afternoon just over a minute later on an assist to Leger for the team's sixth goal of the game.

"We all build off when someone does something great," Anderson said. "Ali is such a team player."

Ellen Meyer '15 turned in two strong performances in the wins, saving five shots in each game.

Next weekend, the team travels to Pennsylvania to take on Drexel University and the University of Pennsylvania in a Friday-Sunday matchup in Philadelphia. The Big Green looks to continue its momentum before returning for Homecoming in two weeks.

Staff writer Josh Koenig contributed reporting.