Dartmouth to partner with Say Yes program

Dartmouth has joined the Say Yes to Education program, a national nonprofit that offers free college tuition for eligible low-income high school students.

Say Yes to Education announced the partnership with Dartmouth and 11 other higher education institutions, including Princeton University and Cornell University, in a press release on Sept. 18.

The program, based in New York, aims to improve high school and college graduation rates by providing academic, financial and health services to economically disadvantaged families and students. Currently, 54 colleges and universities are affiliated with the program.

Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid Maria Laskaris said Jacques Steinberg '88, Say Yes to Education's senior vice president of higher education and communications, initially approached the College about working with the organization in June.

Steinberg said Say Yes had been interested in partnering with the College for some time. Steinberg, citing fond memories of his time as a student, said he wanted other students to have the same opportunity to attend, and approached Dartmouth on behalf of the organization.

The College will begin to waive the tuition of students in the Class of 2018 backed by Say Yes.

"The higher education pact fits nicely into how we approach financial aid, strictly for low-income students," Laskaris said.

While other schools that work with Say Yes offer free tuition for students whose families make $75,000 or less, the College will continue to provide full tuition to families that have an annual income below $100,000, which is the current college policy, Laskaris said.

Laskaris said she hopes that Dartmouth's affiliation with Say Yes will send a message to low-income students across the country that going to college is affordable.

"The focus of this program is not getting students to go to Dartmouth," Laskaris said. "It's really helping students to achieve their educational aspirations whatever the school may be, but really helping students recognize that there is financial aid and college is more affordable then they may realize."

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand '88, D-N.Y., has been a long-time supporter of the program and has used her influence as a senator to publicize the organization and help it raise money. At a media event announcing the partnership with Dartmouth and other schools, Gillibrand said that the organization helps average Americans obtain a college degree.

"Higher education remains one of the clearest paths to the middle class in this country, and it must be within reach for anyone willing to work their hardest, and earn their degree," Gillibrand said. "Say Yes makes this possible."

George Weiss, the founder of Say Yes to Education, began the organization in 1987 after he promised 112 sixth graders in Philadelphia that he would pay their college tuition if they decided to continue their education.

Since then, Say Yes to Education has helped send over 3,000 high school students in the Northeastern cities, including Hartford, Conn. and New York, to college and aids over 65,000 others.

In addition, Say Yes to Education has partnered with Syracuse, N.Y., and Buffalo, N.Y., to create city-wide initiatives to reach to local students.

These initiatives use after school programs and mentoring for students.