Career center launches accelerator

09.27.13.news.careerservicesdinner
09.27.13.news.careerservicesdinner

The first will be a day-long "Design Thinking Jam" on Oct. 5, facilitated by SAP Business Management Software Solutions to teach participants design thinking and group collaboration. The members will develop a program open to all students, but will eventually be targeted for freshmen and sophomores. The two-year program will conclude with a culminating experience at the end of sophomore summer.

"We think of first-years as startups," director Roger Woolsey said. "In order to help facilitate that, we came up with the accelerator program."

Emma Garcia '17, who is registered to participate in the accelerator, said she looks forward to the experience.

"The Design Thinking Jam is a way to get participants to think of how to use what we've learned in a realistic way, and to build a skill set that's applicable in the workforce," she said.

Anna Pasternak '14 said she hopes to gain inspiration for her own professional development.

"I'm trying to do things in all different areas to get a better idea of what I want and get a better idea of how to go about getting a job," Pasternak said.

The Center for Professional Development is broadening its focus under Woolsey's new leadership, launching several initiatives that extend student accessibility and involvement.

In addition to the accelerator pilot program, projects include professional immersion programs and virtual career fairs.

The center hopes to augment student participation and accessibility off-campus and online. The center will also host a law event in Boston and an entertainment event in New York.

Later this year, a virtual career fair for jobs available in San Francisco will have online booths. The participating companies will conduct virtual interviews with students following the virtual fair's close.

A resume guide, with industry and vocation-specific resume templates, will appear on Dartboard in the next few weeks.

The guide was created by alumni and faculty in response to complaints that Dartmouth students' resumes were inconsistent.

Woolsey hopes to eventually use cloud technology to create a resource that supports students who want to work in specific cities and a customer relations management widget to connect students with articles about professional skills. The end goal is to increase student accessibility to the College's resources and alumni networks.

Despite the harshness of the current economic environment, Woolsey said he is optimistic about the center's ability to support students. He envisions the center as providing both hard and soft skills, which will aid students throughout their post-college experience.

"It's more than just career, it's life skills," Woolsey said.