Campus venues will host eclectic mix of artists this fall

freshmenissue.arts.hop
freshmenissue.arts.hop

This fall's visiting performers at the Hopkins Center were selected for their ability to attract students and "keep the energy going," programming director Margaret Lawrence said.

"Last year we discovered how strong the student appetite is for the arts, in both attending events and creating their own work," she said.

During the first week of classes, the Mark Morris Dance Group will perform in Moore Theater to live accompaniment.

Lawrence said the group's "electricity" will be a dynamic start to the season.

"It's exciting and unusual and a very unique opportunity for students," she said.

A Tribe Called Red, a Native American DJ collective, will perform in Collis Common Ground. The group mixes samples of traditional chants and drumming with electronic dubstep and hip hop beats to challenge stereotypes and incite dialogue about their culture.

With most of the Upper Valley theaters presenting mainstream theatrical works, the Hop sees its role as representing more "one-of-a-kind" artists and productions, publicity coordinator Rebecca Bailey said. Actor Edgar Oliver will present a solo show about his childhood and upbringing on Oct. 22 and 23.

Comedian Reggie Watts, who sold out his last Dartmouth performance, will return to Spaulding Auditorium on Oct. 5.

"Reggie is an amazing, freewheeling performer who really concentrates on students and creating a fun and festive atmosphere," Lawrence said.

The Knights, a classical orchestral ensemble, will perform on Oct. 4, and the Tetzlaff Quartet, who presented a solo recital in 2011, will return to campus for an Oct. 18 show.

Sally Pinkas, the Hop's pianist-in-residence, will perform with Syrian clarinetist Kinan Azmeh and the Apple Hill String Quartet on Nov. 13.

Outside of Hopkins Center programming, Collis Governing Board also brings performers to campus for shows throughout the year.

Last January, spoken word artist Taylor Mali performed alongside the student slam poetry group Soul Scribes in Collis Common Ground.This spring, Collis hosted open mic nights and live music, with performers like blue-grass band Cardigan Mountain Tradition, who played over Green Key weekend.

Friday Night Rock, a student-run organization that brings independent music groups to campus, provides an alternative social scene for students.

Last year, FNR presented several eclectic live shows in Sarner Underground, including a collaborative concert between New York-based string quartet Brooklyn Rider and student string ensemble Girls Rush.

Escort, a two-man disco revival group, Colombian Afrobeat act M.A.K.U., transgender rapper Mykki Blanco and indie band the Dum Dum Girls were among the other artists hosted by FNR.

"FNR is really great because they provide such diverse shows," Luke McCann '16 said. "There is absolutely something for every single person on campus. It's an awesome atmosphere."