SEAD students arrive on campus

SEAD IV students will spend their last summer in the program focusing on preparing for college this fall.

This is the first time that SEAD has welcomed back high school students for a fourth year, called SEAD IV, founding director Jay Davis '90 said. Prior to this summer, SEAD spanned students' freshman, sophomore and junior summers.

To participate in SEAD, high school freshmen must qualify for free school lunches and show unfulfilled promise, Davis said. This year's scholars come from East Boston, Bronx, N.Y., Raymond, N.H., Fairmont, W.V. and Schenectady, N.Y.

Adam Rice '12, who is part of the lead teaching team and has been involved in the program since his sophomore summer, said returning for a fourth summer provides a "tremendous opportunity" as students prepare to enter college in the fall. SEAD IV has 22 participants and will run for two weeks.

Following the departure of SEAD IV students, 32 rising high school sophomores will come to campus for SEAD I, their first summer in the program.

Twenty staff members, 50 summer advisors and over 120 undergraduate students are involved in the program, Davis said. Undergraduate students volunteer as mentors, academic coaches, activities planners or spirit builders.

Rice said the program brings people of different backgrounds together in a supportive environment.

"For high school students and for Dartmouth students, I think the greatest benefit is the satisfaction and warmth that comes from being part of and creating such a welcoming and affirming community in such a short amount of time," he said.

Ben Kahn '11, who has been a SEAD residential staff member for four summers, said one of the program's strongest attributes is its ability to create a safe space. This trust is most apparent activities like "crossing the line," during which students share personal experiences.

"People felt comfortable with letting everyone know about these very personal and sometimes traumatic things in their lives," he said. "I was grateful to be a part of that group and be able to share my struggles, and everyone else was feeling safe enough to do that."

Kahn said that one of the challenges is maintaining the program's positive impact when participants return home. The program aims to provide the students with the tools to change or resist negative influences that they may experience.

Davis said he hopes to see the high school students leave with ambitious but practical expectations about what it takes to be successful.

"Anything is possible, and achieving those dreams is hard work," he said. "I want a realistic optimism."

Martenn Taylor '13, a residential staff member, has been involved with SEAD since he attended high school at the Bronx Center for Science and Mathematics.

"It was really one of the reasons I ended up applying to Dartmouth, because just being on the campus gave me the sensation that college was something that was possible," he said.

SEAD recently hired a full-time employee to provide support to graduated students beginning college.

This year, SEAD IV students will be in college readiness classes, while SEAD I students will participate in engineering and language arts classes. Students will have opportunities to engage in team-building and athletic events such as a hiking trip to Mount Moosilauke, a talent show, a ropes course session, a cross-dressing trip to a bowling alley and workshops with speakers.

Rhoda Agyepong, a scholar who will attend Baruch College in New York this fall, said SEAD has taught her skills inside and outside the classroom, such as learning how to take the SATs and confronting her fear of heights on a high ropes course.

Mentor Becky Marder '15 said she is excited to get to know her mentee and help her prepare for college. Although she was nervous about the potential disconnect, she said they have had only positive interactions so far.