Ordinance to increase town inspection of rentals

An ordinance that requires landlords to register all rental properties and establish a complaint-based inspection procedure will go into effect on Aug. 1, potentially impacting students who live off campus. The policy allows the town to inspect rental properties promptly after receiving a complaint and could lead to stronger enforcement of housing codes.

Many students are overpaying for rental units that are unsafe and badly maintained, and the ordinance seeks to ensure that tenants are safe and town laws abided by, town manager Julia Griffin said.

All rental properties must be registered through Griffin by Sept. 1. While there is no initial registration fee, property owners who fail to comply will be fined $500.

Rental properties make up 20 percent of the town's "housing stock," of which students occupy a "large proportion," according to the ordinance.

Compiling an inventory will help the town monitor property condition and ensure tenants' health and safety, Griffin said. Under the new ordinance, when the town receives a written complaint from a tenant, authorities can, but are not obligated to, inspect the property to determine if there are health and safety violations.

"We felt as if we owed it to the tenants to get into the units quickly so if there was a rental housing statute violation, we could quickly get a handle on the situation and make sure repairs were made," Griffin said.

In addition to property upkeep, the town also hopes to address overcrowding, which poses danger to student tenants and can disrupt residential neighborhoods.

To minimize costs, students often try to cram as many people as they can into housing units, forcing some to live in unsafe spaces such as garages, uninsulated attics and basements with only one fire escape, Griffin said. A Hanover zoning ordinance currently forbids more than three unrelated people to occupy a rental unit.

Ensuring that rental properties are safe and habitable is the town's primary concern. Griffin said she often receives complaints from students and parents about rental properties, particularly on move-in day.

"Parents take one look at what the student is moving into and are just appalled," she said.

Students are often unaware of their rights as tenants, and some landlords take advantage of their inexperience, Griffin said.

Cody Bell '15 said the house he rents on Maple St. was in a "deplorable" state when he moved in, with trash "everywhere" and broken windows. Bell and his parents spent two days tidying up.

Ralph Scozzafava '15, who lives on West Wheelock St., said former tenants left the place in a "disgusting" condition.

He said all communication with his landlord goes though the current leaseholder.

"I have no idea what my rights are," he said. "I'll be honest, I just live there."

Jolin Kish '88, who manages multiple Upper Valley properties, said she informs her tenants about town ordinances and renters' responsibilities.

Felicia Wilkins '15, one of Kish's tenants, said she held a mandatory meeting and explained the logistics of paying rent, utilities and procedures they should follow if something is broken.

In the past, the town has worked with the Office of Residential Life to compile informational brochures that describe rental procedures and tenants' rights, Griffin said. The most recent guide to off-campus housing was published in 2004.

Students who live off campus said they learned about available properties through word of mouth.

While the College's real estate office lists area properties for rent, it works primarily with College employees, staff and graduate students, not undergraduate students.

The real estate office could not be reached for comment by press time.