Mills to serve as executive vice president and CFO

Richard Mills, executive dean for administration at Harvard Medical School, was named Dartmouth's new executive vice president and chief financial officer, President Philip Hanlon said in an email to campus Tuesday afternoon.

Mills will succeed vice president for finance Mike Wagner, who served as interim chief financial officer after Steve Kadish moved to Northeastern University last year.Mills will assume his role next month.

As the College's third-highest administrator, Mills will work with Hanlon and the provost, a position currently filled by vice provost Martin Wybourne, to create the annual operating budget, which currently exceeds $950 million.

At Harvard, where he has worked since 2005, Mills managed administrative operations and previously served as the associate dean for planning and facilities and dean for operations and business.

Thayer School of Engineering dean Joseph Helble chaired the five-person committee that oversaw the national search.

"Rick demonstrates a deep understanding of higher education and the importance of the interconnectedness of Dartmouth's schools and divisions to advancing Dartmouth's mission," Helble said in a statement.

Hanlon said Mills' professional experience will allow him to effectively fulfill his role.

"I will rely on his insightful analysis and experienced counsel as Dartmouth strengthens its position as a leader during a time of great change in higher education," he said in a statement.

Before entering higher education, Mills worked as a litigation attorney, the department director and senior staff Counsel for the Massachusetts Water Resources Authority and principal of a strategic consulting firm.

Mills attended Hamilton College and received a law degree from Boston University.