Lost Tabard python found by dog

The 3-foot ball python lost at the Tabard coed fraternity last week was found by a member's dog just after 8 p.m. on Tuesday.

The dog retrieved the snake, named Lyude, in a hole beside the fraternity's porch, said Tabard president Connie Gong '15, who is looking after the python this summer. A plank of wood was covering the hole, obscuring the snake from view.

"I got back three minutes after the dog found it," Gong said. "It was yapping really loudly."

Gong said she realized the snake was missing on Thursday but had not looked in the tank since Wednesday night. She alerted Safety and Security on Friday morning and explained that the python was not threatening.

Addy Adewusi '15, who notified Tabard members of the finding in an email, said authorities had advised house members on how to search for the snake.

"They said that they stay in warm, dark places and that it probably hasn't gone that far," Adewusi said.

The Valley News reported Saturday that escaped pythons often seek hiding places and do not travel far from their cages.

Lyude has since returned to its cage, where it resides with another ball python of similar size.