Chang: Streamlining for Progress

The range and breadth of interests Dartmouth caters to are often lauded as among the College's greatest aspects. Majors are diverse and modifiable, extracurriculars vary tremendously and clubs are easy to create, which allow for a comprehensive experience in which students can sample a wide palette of options. While this may offer diverse perspectives, the paradox of choice suggests that sometimes less really is more. Having myriad organizations for different interests is one thing, but having a multitude of groups that all seek to address the same problem is quite another. Organization becomes horizontal, and the sheer number of competing agendas sometimes stunts progress. When dealing with certain issues at Dartmouth, it may be time to ask whether pronounced optionality truly provides a benefit for solving key problems.

Combating sexual assault, a topic that has repeatedly come to the attention of the Dartmouth community, involves a wide array of possibilities for involvement. Mentors Against Violence, the Sexual Abuse Awareness Program, and the Student and Presidential Committee on Sexual Assault are just a few of the organizations involving various members of the College regarding sexual violence. And although each of these groups and programs use different mechanisms, their end goals are ostensibly congruent.

As such, it seems that increased cooperation and collaboration would benefit all parties involved. Presently, however, it seems that each group maintains a certain distance from one another, allowing different organizations to focus on separate components of the problem. MAV deals with student-run education and prevention and SAAP provides emotional support and crisis intervention, whereas the SPCSA joins with the administration and students together in efforts against sexual assault. Yet despite cross-membership, there exists little contact or collaboration amongst the groups.

A complex issue like sexual assault certainly deserves constant examination and reexamination from various sources. But there lies an inherent danger in too much delegation, in constantly breaking problems down into further problems. There is nothing more frustrating than simply talking about talking about fixing the issue. The subject matter is delicate, sensitive and should be handled with care, but this does not preclude our many groups from taking collective action against this grave issue.

Joining the SPCSA as a new member this summer has only reinforced my opinion that sexual assault needs more than just dialogue for solvency. Though my point of view regarding strategies certainly evolved with my newfound understanding of the issue's nuances and complications, the course remains clear. I joined the group because I hoped it would grant me the agency I so desired and felt that I lacked to help catalyze real progress in making Dartmouth a better, safer environment. The release of our second set of recommendations for the student body, faculty and administration has demonstrated the potential that student voices hold and the power that we have to effect change. But we need to be more than heard.

Sexual assault is not a female issue or a male issue it is a human issue, and more importantly, a Dartmouth issue. As a problem that concerns the entire College, we should utilize the community of which we are so proud to tackle it head on. Doing so requires a streamlined approach from the various bodies already involved. Though each group's niche purpose is undeniably useful, Dartmouth needs new leadership to take charge of sexual assault and find a way for these groups to effectively work together and communicate about what each can do to help one another. A commitment to end sexual assault at Dartmouth has been a longstanding goal at the College. The time is ripe to make good on our word.