Moving Forward, Looking Back: the Class of 2013's first three years on campus

From administrative turnover to magazine tell-alls, the Class of 2013 saw a campus in constant flux. Four presidents (including interim and elect), two meal plans and countless policies and protests later, seniors leave behind a changed Hanover.

In October, Kim expressed concern about the College's endowment, which dropped 23 percent during the 2009 fiscal year. To manage the College's budget, the Board of Trustees announced cuts of $100 million. The College laid off 38 employees and added loans to some students' financial aid awards.

Due to the budget cuts, the College scrapped plans to build a new dining center. At the end of fall 2009, Kim announced that funds for a new dining hall would be used to renovate the existing Thayer Dining Hall.

In December, the College began offering a retirement incentive package to all employees. In total, 105 employees voluntarily retired, receiving nine months' pay if they were at least 55 years old and had worked at the College for over a decade.

The Service Employees International Union unsuccessfully attempted to place an indefinite hold on layoffs and cuts until negotiations were complete in January. In April, Students Stand with Staff held "teach-ins" to inform the community about the cuts. In spite of these measures, the College finalized the budget cuts that month.

The Class of 2013's freshman year was also marked by significant administrative turnover.

Sylvia Spears, who previously served as director of the Office of Pluralism and Leadership, replaced Tom Crady as Dean of the College in early fall. Spears focused on reforming the College's alcohol policies and instituted a student panel to review them.

Barry Scherr stepped down as provost in October. After serving as interim provost, Carol Folt was permanently appointed to the position in May.

Executive vice president for finance and administration Adam Keller stepped down in December. Kim appointed senior vice president and strategic advisor Steve Kadish to fill the position in June.

In Greek life, newly recognized Kappa Delta sorority participated in its first formal rush process in the fall. After being derecognized by the College in 2001, Zeta Psi fraternity moved forward in the rerecognition process and recruited its first pledge class in eight years.

In winter, a fire damaged Phi Delta Alpha fraternity's physical plant, leaving it uninhabitable for months.

Hanover Police announced a plan to conduct "sting operations" in Greek organizations in February. The police department indefinitely delayed the plan after it drew widespread criticism from students and Greek houses.

In April, campus elected Eric Tanner '11 and Brandon Aiono '11 as student body president and vice president.

Over the summer, Michael Mastanduno was named dean of the faculty. The College also announced that Microsoft Online Services would replace BlitzMail, generating campus backlash.

To accommodate the unusually large incoming Class of 2014, the College converted 44 double rooms to triples. The College announced that endowment had increased by 6 percent after falling throughout the recession.

Al Mulley '70, a former trustee and the leader of Kim's presidential search committee, was named director of the College's new Center for Health Care Delivery Science in September.

A search committee selected Wiley Souba as the next dean of Dartmouth Medical School, now the Geisel School of Medecine. Souba replaced William Green in October.

Multiple minority administrators including Spears, assistant dean of undergraduate students Colleen Larimore '85 and acting director of the Center for Women and Gender Samantha Ivery, who also served as an advisor for black students announced their resignations in the winter, which sparked debate about the College's ability to retain minority faculty and staff. Ivery said she had experienced incidents of racism and sexism at the College. At the time, the College had the lowest percentage of minority faculty in the Ivy League.

The year also brought about considerable renovations, with the construction of Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity's new plant and the refurbishment of Baker-Berry Library.

During the winter, new chairs, sofas and tables were added to the main hall of Baker. King Arthur Flour cafe opened, occupying the space previously known as the Berry News Center.

Renovation began on Thayer Dining Hall after the College received a $11 million donation from members of the Class of 1953. The College announced that a new meal plan system, featuring swipes and a declining balance account, would go into effect once renovations were finished. After students protested the proposed meal plans, Dartmouth Dining Services director David Newlove solicited student feedback and suggested changes to the meal plan system.

The College announced reforms to combat sexual assault and binge drinking with the implementation of the "Safe Ride" system.

Student-directed initiatives also affected campus social life. The Green Team bystander intervention program began in the winter.After a violent incident in Sig Ep in May, the eight presidents of Panhellenic council sororities unanimously approved a policy to boycott all social events held with a fraternity in which a member assaulted a female student, if internal adjudication had not been taken in a timely manner. As a result, members of the Interfraternity Council announced updates to each fraternity's assault bylaws.

In spring, Max Yoeli '12 and Amrita Sankar '12 were elected student body president and vice president.

A tumultuous year for the College began with the opening of '53 Commons in September. The renovated space could accommodate nearly 1,100 students, up from Thayer Dining Hall's previous capacity of 700. The new meal plan system went into effect in the fall.

In October, Dartmouth hosted a Republican presidential primary debate in preparation for January's New Hampshire primaries. Eight of the 10 announced candidates attended the debate in Spaulding Auditorium, and Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Minn., former Gov. Jon Huntsman, R-Utah, and former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich, R-Ga., addressed a crowd of students in Leede Auditorium.

Several homophobic slurs were found written on the ground floor of Fahey-McLane residence hall's windows on Nov. 6. Though Safety and Security officials opened an investigation into the matter, they did not identify the perpetrator.

In December, the Hanover Inn closed for renovations. The project took a year and a half and cost the College approximately $41 million.

Crispin Scott '13 was found dead in an apartment while studying abroad in Barcelona on a program run by Portland State University. A math major, Scott was a member of Phi Delt and the men's rugby team. Spanish police arrested Oscar Vicente Castro Cedeno, the landlord of the apartment building, on homicide charges. While searching his home, police discovered more than a hundred photos of unconscious young men who may have been sexually assaulted.

In January, Andrew Lohse '12 published an opinion column in The Dartmouth titled "Telling the Truth," which accused Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity of hazing its pledges. Lohse's allegations included that pledges were forced to "swim in a kiddie pool full of vomit," "eat omelets full of vomit" and "vomit on other pledges." Lohse argued that the administration ignored abuses pervasive throughout the Greek system.

In March, the Undergraduate Judicial Affairs office charged 27 members of SAE with hazing violations for the 2011 fall pledge term. All of the charges were dropped after evidence disproved some of Lohse's formal allegations.

On March 28, Rolling Stone published Janet Reitman's article "Confessions of an Ivy League Frat Boy," which recounted Lohse's hazing allegations and included interviews with faculty members, students and alumni.

The Organizational Adjudication Committee sentenced SAE to three terms of probation for hazing, disorderly conduct and serving alcohol to minors in April.

Suril Kantaria '13 and Julia Danford '13 were named student body president and vice president in April after a contentious election.

On March 23, President Barack Obama nominated Kim to lead the World Bank. Due to Kim's lack of finance experience, he was considered an unusual choice for the position. To promote his candidacy, Kim went on a "listening tour" of eight countries, where he met with international finance ministers.

In April, Kim was selected president by the World Bank's directors over Nigerian finance minister Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala. Former Colombian finance minister Jose Antonio Ocampo withdrew his candidacy before the vote and expressed his support for Okonjo-Iweala.

A 17-person presidential search committee, led by board member Bill Helman '80, was announced in May.

After serving the second-shortest presidential tenure in Dartmouth's history, Kim left the College to replace the outgoing World Bank president Robert Zoellick on June 30. Folt assumed the interim presidency on July 1.

Dartmouth Medical School was renamed the Geisel School of Medicine to honor Theodor Geisel '25 in May. The Geisel family remains the largest donor to the College.