Alpha Delta fined, tasked with community service

6.25.13.news.AD
6.25.13.news.AD

In January, AD was indicted for providing alcohol to a 20-year-old female and an 18-year-old male. The offense, which occurred last fall, carried up to a $100,000 fine.

In addition to paying the fine, AD members must satisfy certain state mandates, including completing 300 hours of community service, creating a management plan for social gatherings, learning to identify signs of intoxication and creating an internal risk manager position.

"We're waiting for some specifics about those requirements," AD house advisor John Engelman said. "Those are orders that our attorney is waiting to receive from the state."

Details such as how to document community service hours and establish an education program about the signs of intoxication are still to be determined, Engelman said.

AD already has an internal risk manager position, which has been in place for some time, summer president Mike Haughey '15 said. Haughey declined to name the student who currently holds the post.

Haughey said the drafting of the management plan is an "ongoing process" and will likely include input from the executive board, president, risk manager and house advisor, among others.

The fraternity's vice president of service will oversee the requisite 300 hours of community service.

"We plan on completing much more than 300 hours," he said.

In addition to the $15,000 fine, AD was also charged a $3,600 penalty assessment fee. Fifty percent of the fine and the penalty assessment fee has been suspended, and the fraternity paid the remainder.

Engelman said he expects the suspended portions of the fine will be imposed if AD does not meet the state requirements.

"We don't have to pay at the current time, and if we meet the mandates of the state, we don't have to pay it ever," he said.

The amount of the fine was agreed upon prior to the fraternity's court appointment.

"Our attorney negotiated with the state and reached an agreement as to what the fine would be," Engelman said.

The fraternity currently has a set of governing documents, including internal social event management procedures, a set of bylaws, a code of conduct and an internal adjudication program, that can serve as a template for the substance of the management plan, Engelman said.

"Everything that we need to include in the management plan probably already exists in those documents," he said.

The money for the fine came from the fraternity's treasury, so members were not individually charged.

"They have the resources to pay whatever fine is imposed," Engelman said.

The fraternity is coming off of social probation, which prohibits alcohol in common spaces, but remains on College probation, Haughey said. The College probation, which requires that the fraternity take extra caution, will extend through the next academic year.

"There are requirements by the state as imposed and there are requirements by the College as imposed," Engelman said. "Some of them overlap and some of them don't, but my expectation is that all will be satisfied in a timely manner and to the satisfaction of both the College and the state."

Four AD officers, including president Siegfried von Bonin '14 and vice presidents Nate Davis '14 and Ross Collins '14, signed the agreement.

John Hughes, an attorney from Lebanon, represented the fraternity in the courtroom proceedings. Grafton County attorney Lara Saffo presented the state's case against the fraternity.

A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that the College was required to pay the $3,600 penalty assessment fee. AD was required to pay the fee.