UFC approves $1.2 mil. budget for organization

5.21.13.news.UFC
5.21.13.news.UFC

Overall, funding from the committee increased by approximately $40,000 from last year, due to a slight increase in student activity fees to $243 from $234.

Programming Board received $300,500 in funding, marking a slight increase from the $296,000 received last year. The committee allocated $259,300 to the Class Council on Student Organizations and $142,550 to the Special Programs and Events Committee, compared to $255,000 and $134,500 budgets last year, respectively.

Collis Governing Board received $79,500, Student Assembly received $58,000 and the Greek Leadership Council received $45,000. Club Sports, Class Council, the Dartmouth Outing Club and the Bonfire committee each received around $30,000.

Student Assembly president Adrian Ferrari '14 said the organization received approximately half the amount they requested for from UFC.

While Ferrari believes that the Assembly can still do "great work" with the funds, some programs, such as the readership program and vouchers to Molly's for student-faculty lunches, will have to be cut.

"This is one of the most dramatic budget cuts we've had in recent years," Ferrari said. The Assembly's budget is 11,500 less than last year's $69,500.

Student Assembly's purchases of subscriptions to national newspapers in campus dining halls accounts for about half of their budget. In light of the cuts, the group will have to carefully analyze its allocations of funding for next year, Ferrari said.

"We will spend our money smartly, but every decision will count," Ferrari said.

Both the DOC and Club Sports were given increased funds to help reduce costs for non-members participating in outdoor activities and expenses for student athletes.

Premjee said the committee hopes to make member organizations more accountable, prompting the group to issue policy recommendations.

"The recommendations are meant to give a clear vision for future," he said. "We're like strategy consultants."

While organizations will not have to follow recommendations for the 2013-2014 academic year, groups that do a poor job managing their money may face repercussions in future years.

The committee recommended that the Assembly narrow the focus of its programs, collaborate more with groups like Class Council and find ways to narrow the costs of programs for first year mentoring and the student readership program.

They suggested that Class Council track the cost per student of various events and improve outreach to sophomores and juniors. Programming Board was asked to re-evaluate its spending on Nugget Theater subsidies and trips to Montreal and New York City, and the committee recommended that the group change its organizational structure and start a new membership recruitment process.

Premjee said the UFC strives to be as unbiased as possible when allocating funds.

"We want everyone to be on an equal playing field," he said. "We have to explain to organizations that if we give them more money, we will have to cut another group's budget."

Campus organization representatives serving as members of the UFC will now be required to have at least a year of experience as an executive for that organization. freshmen were allowed to serve as UFC representatives for organizations, which was problematic because they did not have knowledge about the history of the organization they were representing, Premjee said. Freshmen may still serve as at-large members.

The UFC is made up of 11 members chosen by Student Assembly's membership and internal affairs committee, nine representatives from various College governing organizations, two non-voting advisors and a secretary.

The organization meets several times each term and determines budget allocations during a weekend retreat at the Norwich Inn in the spring.

This article has been revised to reflect the following corrections:

Correction: May 21, 2013

The original version of this article incorrectly stated that the UFC budget went up $20,000, when in fact it went up by $40,000. The UFC funded 9 groups, not 11 groups, and freshmen may serve in the UFC as at-large members under the new policies. The article also incorrectly stated that Student Assembly's budget went down by $10,000, when in fact it went down by $11,500.

Correction: May 24, 2013

**The original version of this article incorrectly stated that the DOC uses its funds to offset costs for student members. The funds help lower costs for non-members of the DOC.*