Student Spotlight: Danny Freeman '13

5.20.13.arts.freeman
5.20.13.arts.freeman

"I'm surrounded by people that are so talented, much more than I am, and they are a constant inspiration," said Freeman. "Most of my closest friends are people I look up to as artists. I just feel very lucky to be given an environment that's so rich in talented people."

Freeman is a member of the Aires and a theater minor.

"It's been so rewarding," Freeman said. "I have loved the arts for so long and I've loved that I've been able to be so involved."

Freeman said the a cappella group has profoundly shaped his Dartmouth experience.

"I knew I wanted to be in the Aires before I came to Dartmouth," Freeman said. "I was a huge a cappella nerd in high school and I saw the Aires as the gold standard in a cappella coming in because they were so fun and so goofy and they also took their music seriously. But their main goal was making people smile."

Freeman appeared on NBC's "The Sing-Off" with the group his sophomore summer. The group placed second in the national competition.

"It was one of the most unique, exciting, unforgettable experiences I've ever had in my life," Freeman said.

Theater has also comprised a large part of Freeman's time at Dartmouth. He has been in the cast of numerous productions, including "The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee," "Rent," "Hairspray" and, most recently, "How We Work." Freeman said he admires the energy of these productions as well as the company of his fellow cast-members.

As a sophomore, Freeman wrote and directed a musical for the Dartmouth Asian Organization called "The Kim of Oz." This year, Freeman and Maia Matsushita '13 wrote "Child of the World," a Year of the Arts project that will be shown on May 27 and 29.

Recently, Freeman started hosting campus shows, which he said "has been a huge privilege and an honor."

"I think a lot of that hosting experience has refined some of the direction for things I want to do later in life," Freeman said.

Freeman plans to pursue broadcasting and production after graduation. Later this year, Freeman will travel to Bogota, Colombia, where he hopes to work for a newspaper or production company owned by Dartmouth alumni.