Canada to address Class of 2013

5.9.13.news.canada2 (alreadypublished)
5.9.13.news.canada2 (alreadypublished)

Canada has led the Harlem Children's Zone, a nonprofit education organization, since 1990. The Harlem Children's Zone provides resources and educational opportunities, including parenting workshops and free pre-school to underprivileged children and families in Harlem. The New York Times magazine called the Harlem Children's Zone "one of the most ambitious social experiments of our time."

Canada has been recognized nationally as a pioneer in education, especially after being prominently featured in Davis Guggenheim's documentary "Waiting for Superman'"(2010).

His efforts with Harlem Children's Zone have become a national model as well as a source of controversy among education reformers.

The Harlem Children's Zone supports both struggling students and families in New York City with the goal of creating "a tipping point" so that children are surrounded by encouraging college-oriented peers and parents.

The organization's portrayal as an overwhelming success in "Waiting for Superman'" was not received without criticism. Various news outlets, including The New York Times and The New Yorker reported on skepticism of the group for relying on wealthy philanthropists and for skewing its test results. Others have criticized "Waiting For Superman'" for portraying charter schools too positively.

Canada grew up in the South Bronx and earned a bachelor's degree from Bowdoin College and a master's of education from Harvard University's School of Education.

Canada previously spoke at the College in 2011, when he gave a lecture stressing the value of a primary education and detailing his work with the Harlem Children's Zone. Canada delivered last year's commencement address at the University of Pennsylvania.

Mitchell Kurz '73, a member of both the College's Board of Trustee and that of the Harlem Children's Zone, said the selection of past two speakers is in keeping with the spirit of the College. While Kurz was just elected onto the College's Board of Trustees in March, he has been on the Harlem Children's Zone Board since 1990.

"The education theme of 2012 and 2013 is perfect," he said in an email. "Dartmouth is the number one undergraduate teaching institution in America and Geoff Canada and Wendy Kopp are among the leading education reformers in the country."

Kurz has worked with Canada for over 23 years and he lauded his devotion to providing opportunities for children and their families to break the cycle of poverty.

Despite his prominence in the education field, students interviewed largely did not know who Canada was.

"I think it's a big step down from Conan O'Brien," Katherine Bach '16 said.

Kelly Brait '14 said Canada might offer a different view that could be beneficial to students given the current campus climate.

"I feel like there's this element of mindfulness that has been brought to Dartmouth lately," Brait said. "From what I've read of this guy he seems like a really mindful speaker. He'll give students a greater perspective."

Kathryn Gougelet '14 was not familiar with Canada but said lessons from his career could be valuable.

"Hearing from someone who's had a career off the beaten path will be refreshing," she said.

Students for Education Reform president Maddie Abbott '15 said she was thrilled with Canada's selection and that Canada inspired her to pursue a career in education reform.

Abbott looks forward to hearing Canada's thoughts on social activism, especially for those interested in grassroots movements.

Other students pointed to the significance of having two education leaders speak consecutively.

"It sends a clear message as to who the administration wants to be speaking," Jacob Savos '16 said. "He's no Jon Stewart."

In addition to Canada, oncologist Susan Desmond-Hellman, former IBM chairman and CEO Louis Gerstner Jr. '63, Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater artistic director emerita Judith Jamison, litigator and former trustee William King Jr. '63, Canadian filmmaker Alanis Obomsawin and former director of the National Science Foundation Subra Suresh will receive honorary degrees.

This article has been revised to reflect the following correction:

Correction: May 9, 2013

**The original version of this article incorrectly spelled Jon Stewart's name.*