ASAP Rocky draws crowd of 3,000

5.20.13.news.GKsecurity
5.20.13.news.GKsecurity

The concert went off relatively smoothly, in spite of a petition against ASAP Rocky that called the artist's lyrics misogynistic and violent, arguing that the performance was antithetical to the College's recent decision to cancel classes.

Petitioners asked students to protest the use of their $81 termly student activities fee to support the concert and to find an alternative activity during the time of the event. Callista Womick '13 began sending out the petition on Thursday, and it gained 45 signatures by press time.

Programming Board chair Alex Martin '13 said he only received positive feedback and that the number of people who signed the petition was very small compared to those number of people who attended the concert, though Programming Board plans to address the concerns the campaign raised.

Martin said the concert exceeded attendance expectations, making it Programming Board's largest in the past five years.

"I didn't see the concert as an issue, and it seems like most of the school didn't, judging by the number of people who came," Martin said.

Martin said Programming Board had reached out to Womack to speak with her, as well as other petitioners, this week.

He said he did not know how Programming Board would have responded if the petition had gathered more responses.

This spring, over 2,000 Harvard University students signed a similar Change.org petition protesting a performance by the rapper Tyga at Yardfest, citing objections to the artist's lyrics. Tyga's concert was held as scheduled.

Ana Pongrac '15 attended the ASAP Rocky concert, but left shortly after because she was offended by the rapper's lyrics.

"After a couple of lyrics, I was just repelled by the entire setting because the words were really offensive and aggressive," she said.

Pongrac said the concert may have especially generated student pushback in light of the recent discussions on campus climate.

"I understand that this could be a really good outlet for other students to blow off steam," she said. "But it's not personally how I wanted to spend my free time, and I think this is also just a more sensitive time."

Some said ASAP Rocky's lyrics promote misogyny, homophobia and violence.

During the concert, ASAP Rocky asked the crowd for a "pretty girl with a big booty," and eventually pointed at Jackie Friedman '16.

After asking for her name, ASAP Rocky directed an explicit sexual innuendo at Friedman, which some students found offensive.

Friedman, however, said she was excited that ASAP Rocky said her name and did not find his remark serious.

"I was so starstruck, I didn't really even hear or care about what he was saying, I was just like, Oh my god he's talking to me,'" Friedman said. "That made the concert for me."

Other attendees said they were not offended by ASAP Rocky's lyrics. Although the concert did not live up to her expectations, Sarah Caughey '15 said she had no prior knowledge of the offensiveness of ASAP Rocky's lyrics.

"I think in light of things that happened on campus, I think it's a sensitive time," she said. "I don't personally know his lyrics."

Shay Vellanki '16 said she enjoyed the "great party mood" the concert created and attended to hear talent and music rather than specific song lyrics.

"I didn't take offense because I wasn't trying to connect with his lyrics or anything," she said.
Not all students who chose to skip the performances did so because they were offended. Though Sarah Byrne '15 did not attend, she defended the lyrics and cited music industry norms as a possible reason for the nature of ASAP Rocky's tone.

Meghan Hassett '15 said she chose to spend the time with friends, but added that she does not respect ASAP Rocky as an artist and finds his lyrics problematic.

Hassett said that a different artist such as Macklemore may have been more appropriate, since his lyrics are more meaningful. Macklemore performed at Yale University's Spring Fling earlier this year.