Vox Clamantis: A Calamitous Response

To the Editor:

As a recent alumnus, I have countless fond memories of my time at Dartmouth. This of course includes our traditions: the bonfire, DOC trips and Winter Carnival. The Dimensions show is a recent tradition, yet there are many who love it. This group apparently does not include the current administration, who earlier this year tried to shelve the show, to widespread disbelief. Their response to the protests and the cancellation of classes today are deplorable to the highest degree.

The Dimensions show was trampled and destroyed by the protesters. The protesters trespassed on a performance that took months of preparation and dedication. There were no arguments, there was no dialogue. Dartmouth was attacked. Alumni remember leaving the Dimensions show amazed at the time and talent that went into making us feel welcome into making Dartmouth our home. We are sad for the '17s who did not have the same experience.

The administration's response is calamitous. The destruction of the Dimensions show is completely ignored. The protesters are unpunished. The message is clear: anger and aggression from a select group will be tolerated, and indeed encouraged. The administration has vindicated and legitimized the trespassers' actions through devoting an entire day to discussing their issues and concerns.

Yesterday, 4,000 Dartmouth students were not able to take advantage of the greatest undergraduate education in the world. As many alumni will tell you, Dartmouth never canceled classes in their day. Times have certainly changed.

Shame on the administration for weakening Dartmouth. And shame on the protesters for ruining a Dartmouth tradition.

**Jake Robbins '11

Boston, MA*