Project Z aims to spark and nurture innovation

4.29.13.news.projZ
4.29.13.news.projZ

The conference included presentations from MTV programming chief Susanne Daniels, public policy professor Charlie Wheelan and architect William McDonough. Project Z, a "next generation" conference that promotes audience participation, began last year to replace discontinued TEDx Dartmouth events.

The theme emphasized the importance of reworking conventional approaches.

"It's about revolutionizing how you understand the box and recreate it," coordinator and cofounder Riley Ennis '15 said. "It's not about looking at what you do and trying to understand, Okay, how do I do what everyone else does and do it better?"

In her presentation, Daniels discussed how a student could pitch a television show. Popular shows like "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?" and "The View" often refine and reinvent existing templates.

"As you step into your careers, I urge you to study the past and the present," she said. "Then, you can reinvent the future."

Wheelan extended the innovation theme to politics, arguing that voters' current disillusionment with both major political parties leaves room for new ideas.

"If I said let me describe an industry where there are two incumbent firms that control the industry, and 15 percent of their customers are satisfied, do you think there's room for a new entrant?" Wheelan said. "Well, what I described is the American political system."

Sustainable architecture also invites experimentation, McDonough said. He discussed his vision for energy efficient homes that are powered like plants.

McDonough's plans reflect the innovative approaches to everyday things that Project Z aims to explore, Ennis said.

"They're ideas so radical that they shock our thinking," he said.

Other speakers included Matt Leitten '15, Chris Walker '15 and Victor Muchatuta '16.

Ennis said that even Dartmouth's administration could use innovation.

In light of the recent Dimensions protest and increased campus-wide interest in systemic social problems, Ennis said that the College should take bold measures to "reinvent the box." Although many have acknowledged campus issues, the administration has relied on conventional ways to combat these problems.

"We've been grooming the next generation of Dartmouth students who can take over," cofounder Catherine Bryt '15 said.

Project Z attracts speakers through networking and contacting alumni. Raising funds proves more difficult than courting speakers, as the organization relies on donations and sponsorships, Bryt said. The coordinators chose not to charge participants for the event to make it accessible to all students and community members.

Next year, Project Z will pursue an official TED license, Ennis said. In order to gain accreditation, he said organizers must send a professor or Dartmouth employee to attend and speak at a TED event.

Ennis said he is proud of the Project Z team for having hosted three successful events.

"Not having had a brand, we've now branded it," he said. "We brought in billionaires to New York Times bestsellers."

Previous speakers include Jim Coulter, co-founder of the private equity firm TPG Capital, and Olympic gold medalist Hannah Kearney '15.

Abdul-Rashid Alhassan '16 said he appreciated how Daniels stressed the importance of reviewing others' ideas when trying to be innovative.

Staff writer Josh Koenig contributed reporting.