New restaurants to feature noodles and frozen yogurt

4.8.13.news.noodleSta
4.8.13.news.noodleSta

Both establishments, the brainchildren of longtime Hanover resident and Hanover High School graduate Samantha Chu and her husband Chris Gale, are in their final construction phase and will serve students and residents homemade food "made from scratch and with love," Chu said.

The building has traditionally held two separate businesses, and Chu and her husband decided to keep it that way with separate counters for noodles and frozen yogurt.

"We took out one of the walls and made a larger kitchen and added a couple hood stations so that the noodles can be sauteed right out in the front," Chu said. "We basically tore down all the old walls and started fresh. It's definitely going to be quite different from how it was set up before."

At Noodle Station, patrons can choose from 10 different sauces, such as pesto and Thai curry, to complement noodles ranging from spaghetti to lo mein.

The restaurant will serve simple appetizers, including spring rolls, crab rangoon and Italian-style meatballs.

"My dad is from Hong Kong, and my mom has an Italian background so that's what inspired these recipes," Chu said. "They're a part of me since I'm Asian and Italian."

The Swirl and Pearl will serve bubble tea and eight self-serve yogurt flavors, complemented by a toppings bar with over 30 types of fruit, candy and nuts.

"There's not any place to get bubble tea in Hanover, so whenever I visit my family down in the Boston area, that's one of the first things I get," Chu said.

The restaurant's interior will seat 30 and its patio will open when weather permits.

Chu chose the space for its close proximity to Main Street.

"Hopefully, it will be a positive business in town that can provide people with good service and good food," she said.

Chu grew up in Hanover and her parents have owned China Station restaurant in the Miracle Mile Plaza in Lebanon since 1988.

"I saw an opportunity for this space and grabbed onto it, and I hope that concept is new and exciting and that everyone will enjoy it," she said.

There have been relatively few "hiccups" in the restaurant's planning and implementation, including an eight-month permit process, during which she and her husband waited for the town of Hanover to approve their business plan.

Students expressed interest in alternative Hanover dining options, especially those that provide quick and simple foods that can be eaten on the go.

"I would definitely go because it sounds like it could be quick but consistently high quality," Patrick Sheehan '15 said.

Alex Velaise '15 said he believes new restaurants in Hanover face challenges because they must engage the Dartmouth population and then maintain its interest over time.

"I feel that this restaurant may be more suited to a big city that cares more about these trends, like Los Angeles," he said. "But I'm excited to go and see how it works out."

Noodle Station brings welcome diversity to Hanover's culinary scene.

"I recently got hooked on boba tea and was unhappy that there wasn't any place to get it in Hanover, so now I'm very excited for it to open," Adam Kraus '14 said.

Chu believes students and younger Upper Valley residents will enjoy her restaurant's vibe.

"There are not too many quick casual places in town," she said. "You mostly have to have waiters or waitresses, so I'm hoping people will like the more casual atmosphere."