Beyond the Bubble: Anglophile Art

Anglophiles looking for their dose of British culture need not hop across the pond. Talent from the British Isles is making its mark on the North American arts scene in a variety of ways.

On the West Coast, Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival began Friday and featured many British bands in its lineup. Alternative band Blur was a highlight, finishing their set with their 1997 hit "Song 2." The Stone Roses, veterans of the alternative rock genre who enjoyed popularity in the Britain in the '80s and '90s, also performed.

In New York City, "Matilda the Musical" premiered at the Shubert Theater on April 11. The critically-acclaimed musical has already seen success on its home turf in the West End and was developed by the Royal Shakespeare Company in Stratford-upon-Avon, England. Based on the classic Roald Dahl book, "Matilda" explores the universal themes of empowerment and overcoming adversity.

The musical follows Matilda's difficult family life and her relationship with her fear-inducing headmistress, Miss Trunchbull. The Broadway adaptation features 9-year-old Sophia Gennusa as Matilda, while original West End cast members Bertie Carvel and Lauren Ward reprise their roles as Miss Trunchbull and Miss Honey respectively.

Audiences will recognize Rupert Grint of "Harry Potter" fame as he stars in "Into the White," which saw its American release on Friday. The World War II-era film chronicles an encounter between British and German pilots in Norway.

After two Royal Air Force airmen are shot down over the Norwegian Fjords, they seek shelter in a cabin with a Luftwaffe crew. The film follows the ensuing friendship that the characters develop as they struggle to survive the harsh Norwegian winter.