1-on-1 with Dalyn Williams '16

This week I chatted with starting Big Green football quarterback Dalyn Williams '16, about his freshman status and his aspirations to go pro.

The football team just finished "hell week," what exactly is that?

DW: Hell Week is actually two weeks of workouts starting at 6:20 a.m. on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. We train vigorously in preparation for spring football.

Can you describe some of the drills you had to do or something that stood out to you?

DW: The most memorable drill was the rope pull. A player is on each side of the rope and for 30 seconds does whatever it takes to make your opponent lose control of it.

What helped you get through it?

DW: During the workout, any time I felt like giving up, I thought of my grandma who had cancer for years, and knew she went through something worse than what I had to endure at the time. I also constantly asked myself, "How good do you want to be?" It's my own personal motivator.

What has been the most challenging part about becoming the starting quarterback as a freshman?

DW: The most challenging part of becoming the starting QB my first fall was the lack of time for preparation I was given to compete and learn a new offense. The preseason was short relative to bigger universities, and I was not able to showcase all of my capabilities as a QB because I was limited to wearing a red jersey every practice, which restricted the amount of running I was allowed to do during practice.

What do you have coming up for training?

DW: Training-wise, we will lift weights twice a week for the remainder of the term.

Do you actually play other schools, or how does the spring season work?

DW: We will not play another team during the spring. Spring is just extra time to hone your craft. However, we will conclude practices with an inter-squad scrimmage.As quarterback, what did you want to focus on and improve upon during the off-season?

DW: During the off-season, I wanted to improve my speed, strength, throwing mechanics, footwork and quickness.

During the fall, you were named Rookie of the Year for the Ivy League. How did you feel when you received this honor?

DW: I was shocked about getting Rookie of the Year because I only started three games, but I was extremely humbled and grateful for the award. I have bigger hopes for team and individual accomplishments, and plan to improve upon this with constant work and dedication.

Where do you think the program will be during spring and next fall?

DW: The program will continue to improve. The freshman football class wants three championship rings, and we will work hard to achieve this goal.

Originally, you were planning to play both baseball and football. What changed your mind?

DW: I did want to play baseball, but I changed my mind because I have aspirations of going pro in football. I wanted to improve on all the aspects of being a true quarterback, and that takes time. It was a hard decision because baseball was my first love, but now football has my heart, mind and soul. Because of this, I will not play baseball over the summer. It is in my past.

What professional team do you dream of playing for?

DW: I am originally from Louisiana and am a die hard Saints fan, so having the opportunity to assume the culture that Drew Brees has started would be a dream come true.

How do you plan on achieving your goal of making it to professional football?

DW: I plan on achieving my goal in becoming pro by displaying supreme dedication and constant sacrifice. There are a lot of things I have given up to become a successful student athlete, and it'll all be worth it if I get my chance.

What is the spring season like for football?

DW: A lot of practice and film sessions. Hopefully it will also include fun!