Bowers '13 is an intergal part of women's lacrosse team

Hana Bowers '13 and her attacking skills have been vital to the women's lacrosse team since her freshman year. In her last year with the Big Green, she plans to continue showcasing her talent and take on the added role of co-captain.

Although the season is only just beginning, Bowers was already named Ivy League offensive player of the week on Feb. 25 for her three goals and assist during the Big Green's game against the University of Oregon.

This Saturday, she put in four goals and two assists to secure the team's victory over Yale University.

The Greenwich, Conn. native has been a major scorer since she stepped up to fill a void created by an injury on the team during her first season at Dartmouth.

"Hana is one of the prettiest lacrosse players I've ever seen," fellow co-captain Kelsey Johnson '13 said. "She has better stick skills than anyone, and her presence as an attacker is unparalleled."

Although Bowers may not have foreseen the key role she would play on the team when she played on club and high school teams in Greenwich, she did know that she wanted to go to Dartmouth from a young age.

As the daughter of an '83 and sister of an '11, she was eager to continue her family's legacy.

"I always had my eye on Dartmouth," Bowers said. "I went to Dartmouth camps since eighth grade and absolutely fell in love. The day that I got contacted by Dartmouth may be the best day of my life, and I committed the first day that I could."

Indeed, Bowers felt at home in Hanover by the end of her First-Year Trip.

She attributes a lot of this feeling to the instant bond she felt with her teammates.

"From my first days on the team freshman year, there was just instant chemistry and it was unbelievable," Bowers said. "The upperclassmen really took the freshmen under their wing, so it was like having an automatic family."

Bowers exhibited her unfailing work ethic early in her career.

Her determination helped her adjust to playing lacrosse at a college level and inspire others.

"Hana is an extremely hard worker," Johnson said. "Watching when she goes hard in attack makes others want to do the same. She has this aura around her that makes you want to work hard like she does."

As co-captain, Bowers creates a positive environment geared toward success.

"She is a natural leader, and is always one of the first people to step up," Johnson said. "She always knows the right thing to say to motivate everyone else."

Bowers has become a role model for other girls on the team, head coach Amy Patton said.

"It's been really fun for me to see her commit more to the program each year and see the results of her commitment," Patton said. "She's been an incredible role model with her work ethic, her determination and the way that she balances her academics, social life and playing on a D-I program."

Bowers has high hopes for the season.

"This year, we want to win the national championships," she said. "I think my class has decided that if we're not going to shoot for the biggest prize, there's no point in going to practice every day."

Patton believes Bowers is up to the task.

"I think Hana is one of the best players in the country," Patton said. "She is leading our attack and coming up big for us in games, and she's so smart on the field that it's almost like having another coach out there."

Regardless of her performance this season, Bowers loves the sport and her teammates.

When asked about her favorite moment on the team, she recalls a moment when the entire 2013 class was getting playing time.

Although Bowers will leave the Big Green after this season for a job in New York City, she does not plan to give up lacrosse just yet.

"There are some leagues I can join in New York, and I'm hoping to help out with my old high school team," Bowers said. "Honestly, I can't imagine not having lacrosse in my life anymore."