NY club considered for preservation

In response to New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg's new development plans to rezone and rejuvenate east Midtown, historical conservation organizations such as the New York Landmarks Conservancy, the Municipal Art Society and the Historic Districts Council are working to designate buildings targeted for potential redevelopment as historical landmarks.

The Yale Club of New York, which houses the Dartmouth Club of New York, tops off the list of 17 historical buildings that have been identified as ideal for redevelopment.

The Landmarks Conservancy submitted a request to evaluate historic buildings to the New York City landmarks preservation commission, but it is uncertain how long the commission will take to make a decision, said Andrea Goldwyn, director of public policy at the conservancy.

The commission has completed a survey of the historic sites in the proposed rezoning area, including the Yale Club.

"The Landmarks Preservation Commission is actively reviewing which sites may be eligible for future landmark designation," Elisabeth de Bourbon, director of communication of the Landmarks Preservation Commission, said in an email.

The potential rezoning of the streets surrounding Grand Central Terminal will most likely not go into effect for several years, but the preparations could start much sooner, Goldwyn said.

Current zoning rules forbid buildings taller than existing buildings to be built in the east Midtown area. Bloomberg's proposed development plan will allow for the construction of new offices near Grand Central, The New York Times reported.

A landmark is a building, property or object that is evaluated by the commission to have "special historical or aesthetic interest, value or character," de Bourbon said.

"These special buildings and places not only represent the city's architectural, historic and cultural heritage, they also help stabilize and improve prove property values, encourage civic pride, enhance the city's tourist attractions and strengthen its economy," she said.

Landmarks must be at least 30 years old, and once they are designated as landmarks, the commission is able to regulate changes and alterations to the buildings. Owners must then obtain a permit in order to alter it.

Opened in 1915, the current Yale Club building was designed by architect James Gamble Rogers and is considered one of the largest private clubhouses in the world. The club, with over 11,000 members, features a library, athletic facilities, banquet rooms, guest rooms, a barbershop and other amenities.

In addition to the Dartmouth Club, the Yale Club also houses the Virginia Club and the Delta Kappa Epsilon Club.

The Dartmouth Club of New York currently has around 1200 clubhouse members, and approximately 6,000 Dartmouth almuni live in the metro area.

"As the College's Metro Club of the Year and the only club with clubhouse facilities, we consistently enjoy the beautiful building and convenient location of the Yale Club," Kate Lyon '05, co-chair of the Dartmouth Club social committee, said in an email.

Other buildings proposed for landmark preservation include the Roosevelt Hotel on Madison Avenue, the Graybar Building and the Lexington Hotel, both on Lexington Avenue.

"The blend of new and old is what keeps New York vital and unique," Goldwyn said while addressing the New York City city planning department. "That principle should be a starting point for revitalizing this significant area."

The conservancy is working to increase public awareness of the rezoning and landmark preservation by disseminating information about the buildings proposed for landmark status and posting information on their website, according to Goldwyn.

The public process of certifying the rezoning proposal is not set to be completed until March.Prominent developers and the construction industry have forged an alliance to lobby for the new rezoning rules, The Times reported.