Daily Debriefing

A college diploma is becoming the lowest minimum requirement for low-level positions in many industries, The New York Times reported. Many law firms now only hire college graduates, even in positions that do not require college-level skills. College graduates appear more goal-oriented to prospective employers, having invested in their educations and futures. Degree inflation is becoming a national trend, as jobs across various industries that typically did not require a college diploma now require degrees. Some jobs in the supply chain management and logistics industries now require employees with more advanced skills than before. Employers are also hesitant to hire overqualified college graduates because there is a risk that they will leave once the economy improves, The Times reported.

Harvard University hired a Title IX coordinator to ensure that the university complies with gender equality legislation, The Harvard Crimson reported. The university will not announce the name of the appointee until the coordinator begins the position in March. He or she will collect campus sexual assault statistics, distribute information on assault prevention and release annual compliance reports. The position was created last fall due to new guidelines by the Department of Education, which stipulates that all colleges receiving federal funding are required to have a Title IX coordinator. Dartmouth is now the only Ivy League school that does not have a formally appointed Title IX coordinator.

A new book from Columbia University and Ohio State University sociology professors, "The Rise of Women," shows that women are more likely than men to earn high grades, attend college and major in subjects other than science and mathematics, Inside Higher Ed reported. As early as kindergarten, girls have better behavioral and social abilities than boys, giving them an advantage in their academic pursuits. Men tend to be overly confident about their ability to earn a high salary despite being less educated than some of their female peers. The book emphasizes the need for schools to set high standards and encourage students to invest in their education by obtaining college degrees. Universities can help students complete degrees by emphasizing the non-economic benefits of earning a college degree, such as better health and job satisfaction.