Daily Debriefing

Parsons the New School for Design announced that it will reopen its Paris program in the fall of 2013, The New York Times reported. In 2010, the French program changed its name to the Paris College of Art after its relationship with the New York campus ended. The new campus, which will be located on Rue Saint-Roch and called the Parsons Paris School of Art and Design, will teach between 300 and 500 students. The program plans to offer degrees in art, fashion, design and business, and students who start at the Paris campus will have the option of transferring to the New York, Shanghai or Mumbai campuses. Executive Dean of Parsons Joel Towers said that students from across Europe will be allowed to enroll in short-term professional development and online courses, for which they could receive Parsons credit, according to The Times.

George Washington University's admission office has been misreporting data about the class ranks of incoming students for over 10 years, The Chronicle of Higher Education reported. The university reported that 78 percent of last year's incoming class was in the top 10 percent of their high school class but announced on Tuesday that the correct figure was actually 58 percent. According to university representatives, the misreporting was due to "faulty estimates" and "embarrassing mistakes." Officials at the university said they discovered the error upon comparing the school's data with that of peer institutions, The Chronicle reported.

A reported released by the Institute of International Education found that the number of American college students who chose to study abroad in 2010-2011 grew by just 1.3 percent, and the rate of increase has declined over the last several years, The Chronicle of Higher Education reported. The Institute reported that 273,996 students studied abroad during the 2010-2011 academic year and that Europe drew over 55 percent of these students. The study found that the majority of students who traveled abroad chose to do so either over the summer or as part of trip shorter than a full semester. The institute's president suggested that the decline may be due to poor economic conditions and the fact that study abroad programs are often inaccessible to athletes and science majors, according to The Chronicle.