NOW PLAYING IN HANOVER: Won't Back Down

Daniel Barnz's new film presents the inspirational tale of two women insistent on repairing a damaged educational system and improving students' lives. "Won't Back Down" follows Jamie (Maggie Gyllenhaal) and Nona (Viola Davis), two mothers on their quest to reinvigorate their children's' failing inner-city school. However, a corrupt and uncompromising bureaucracy headed by the president of the teacher's union (Holly Hunter), and the school's principal (Bill Nunn) hinders their efforts. The film was inspired by the true circumstances surrounding the use of the parent trigger law in Los Angeles in 2010, with which parents could legally petition under-performing public schools to institute an administrative and staffing overhaul. Luke Katler

Directed by: Daniel BarnzWith: Davis, Gyllenhaal121 minutesRated PG

Although this film touches on crucial issues plaguing our country's school systems, the story itself was a bit overdone. Predictable and occasionally sappy, it fails to reach beyond its premise and engage its audience. "Won't Back Down" lacks the momentum of a story with complex, multifaceted characters, but Gylenhaal still shines in her limiting role. Overall, the overarching idea is much more compelling than the actual film. Kelsey Sipple

As if "The Help" (2011) and "Freedom Writers" (2007) hadn't already served up enough mawkish, repetitive lessons in white guilt, "Won't Back Down" promises to inform its viewers by providing a would-be harsh and probing look at the public education machine without providing a shred of honesty or true insight into the issues raised. Although this film points the finger at teachers' unions, parents and the failures of public schools, "Won't Back Down" is unlikely to start much serious debate like more competently made message-films. Davis and Gyllenhaal are wasted in a Hallmark-quality picture with little direction.Gordon Reed

Despite its well-intentioned efforts to raise awareness on education reform, Barnz's "Won't Back Down" failed to deliver a moving story due its lack of conviction and overabundance of cliches. A film with an endearing plot but one that was poorly executed, I found the parts of the film unnecessarily repetitive, making the two-hour film seem considerably longer. Laura Sim