Daily Debriefing

Two delegates from the Peruvian Ministry of Health visited campus this week to promote the relationship between Dartmouth and Peru, according to a College press release. Physicians Tatiana Vidaurre and Humberto Castillo toured Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, The Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice and the Geisel School of Medicine during their visits. Vidaurre, chief of Peru's National Cancer Institute, and Castillo, superintendent of Peru's National Health Insurance agency in the Ministry of Health, also met with College representatives about decision-making in medical processes. The visit comes on the heels of Dartmouth's September announcement of a partnership between the College and Peru that aims to improve Peruvian access to education, according to the release.

On Wednesday, online educational platform MyEdu launched two applications that aim to combat high unemployment, the first of which enables students to construct visual representations of job search information, The Chronicle of Higher Education reported. The second application, MyEdu for Employers platform, can be used to advertise qualifications that employers seek in potential employees and to find and contact students. MyEdu founder Michael Crosno said the program represents the first to link students' search for jobs and internships with their "fabric of academics." Launched in 2008, MyEdu has created tools for students to track grades and view professor recommendations, among other features, The Chronicle reported.

As part of a new program, staff at the University of Pittsburgh will help students acquire internships or other experiential learning opportunities with the provision that they complete an internship preparation program, Inside Higher Ed reported. The Career Development and Assistance Placement program at the university has tripled its staff to help with the project, which aims to increase the post-graduate employment rate by 4 percent. The program begins by teaching students strategies for writing resumes, searching for jobs and interviewing successfully. The initiative resembles cooperative education programs at Drexel University, the University of Cincinnati and Northeastern University in that academics, internships and employer connections are fused in the student's course of studies. Admissions directors nationwide report that job placement is a high priority for prospective students and families, and 88 percent of respondents of a recent Inside Higher Ed survey indicated that liberal arts programs should pay increased attention to student employment.