Daily Debriefing

Al Mulley '70, director of the Dartmouth Center for Health Care Delivery Science, has been elected to the Institute of Medicine of the National Academies of Science, according to a College press release. Membership in the IOM, considered to be a high honor in health and medical fields, is decided by current active members on the basis of contributions to the advancement of medical sciences, health care and public health. Mulley is also a professor of medicine at the Geisel School of Medicine and is the former chief of the general medicine division at Massachusetts General Hospital. Much of Mulley's research has focused on the use of decision theory and outcomes research when considering differences within clinical practice. He is one of 70 new members and 10 foreign associates whose selection was announced at the 42nd annual meeting of the IOM.

Pearson Learning Solutions purchased EmbanetCompass, the largest company involved in online academic programs, in a $650-million deal on Tuesday, Inside Higher Ed reported. Pearson, a provider of educational materials and related services for teachers and students, joins a growing list of organizations aiding colleges that seek to move their academic programs online to sustain or expand their enrollments and tuition revenues. EmbanetCompass provides its partner colleges with a number of tools, including admission and enrollment support, marketing, online course development and student services. While EmbanetCompass has focused on graduate programs, Pearson has largely concentrated on undergraduate programming. Pearson has also offered its college clients the opportunity to use specific services rather than buying entire packages. As a result, Pearson and EmbanetCompass are "highly complementary," Pearson Learning Solutions CEO Don Kilburn told Inside Higher Ed.

Students looking to attend college in Virginia can now use a web tool that provides information about how much money recent graduates of individual academic programs earn, Inside Higher Ed reported. The online tool, which lists salary data based on college and major, was released this week as part of a joint undertaking between Virginia's higher education coordinators and College Measures, a nonprofit group supported by the American Institutes for Research. The data is limited in that it only includes graduates who are currently employed in Virginia and excludes federal employees. The study reports earnings for the first year following graduation but does not include long-term data. Data displayed by the web tool found that students graduating with bachelor's degrees in the most popular programs made approximately $37,000, according to Inside Higher Ed.