Daily Debriefing

A former Amherst College student described her rape by a classmate and the institution's inadequate response in a 5,000-word piece published on Wednesday in The Amherst Student, gaining widespread attention on the Internet. The article details Angie Epifano's attempts to seek help after being sexually assaulted by an acquaintance. Epifano, a former member of the class of 2014 who withdrew from Amherst last summer, said she later had to work with her alleged rapist, who recently graduated with honors, on a fundraising project. After reporting the incident and her suicidal thoughts to an Amherst sexual assault counselor, she was admitted to a psychiatric ward, according to the article. Epifano said the administration did not assist her recovery, preventing her from studying abroad and enrolling in certain classes. Amherst President Biddy Martin released a statement on Thursday emphasizing Amherst's intent to review the institution's policies on sexual misconduct, including a meeting involving students and faculty members to discuss how the school's policies should be changed.

Student loan debt increased by 5 percent in 2011, sparking discussion among potential college applicants about the value of a college degree, The Chronicle of Higher Education reported. On average, students graduate $26,660 in debt, according to a new report released by the Project on Student Debt. Due to the current 14-percent employment rate for recent graduates, debt poses a significant challenge for many, according to Anthony Carnevale, director of the Georgetown University Center on Education and the Work Force. Still, the high costs of student loans should not discourage youth from attending college because of the many advantages provided by a college education, Gettysburg College Present Janet Riggs said in The Chronicle.

After 80 years in print, Newsweek magazine will transition to an all-digital format in 2013, according to a press release. The magazine attributed the change to challenges in the print advertising environment and the need to embrace an "all digital future." The release cited a Pew Research Center study that reported that 39 percent of Americans get their news online. The publication predicts it will undergo a series of staff reductions and managerial restructuring in the transition, but it emphasized its commitment to providing readers with high-quality journalism. The all-digital publication, which will be called Newsweek Global, will expand its online presence and focus primarily on mobile users, particularly through tablets and e-readers. Select content will be available through Newsweek's online subsidiary, The Daily Beast.