Alumnus proves favorite for Maine Senate seat

Former Maine Gov. Angus King '66, I-Maine, is running as an Independent candidate for the Senate seat vacated by Sen. Olympia Snowe, R-Maine. King served two terms as governor and is currently the favorite in the race.

On March 1, The Washington Post published an open letter from Snowe in which she announced her resignation, fueled by "dysfunction and political polarization" in Congress. The announcement provided a surprise opportunity for Democrats and Independents, who expected Snowe to run for another term and win uncontested.

King's decision to run for the seat was influenced by frustration with partisan gridlock and a desire to restore moderation and bipartisanship, according to King's political and field director Edie Smith.

"His message is a common sense approach," Smith said. "Washington is broken. We need an Independent to go down and put a moderate coalition together."

King has drawn support from Maine's viable Independent movement and moderates on both sides of the aisle. His two terms as governor are remembered favorably because of economic growth, job development and the establishment of the Maine Learning Technology Initiative, which provides Apple computers to students at public middle schools in the state during his tenure, according to King's campaign website.

King faces competition from Democratic candidate Cynthia Dill, who previously served in the state's legislature, and Republican candidate and Maine Secretary of State Charlie Summer.

According to polls conducted by Critical Insights between Sept. 12 and 16, 50 percent of voters surveyed support King. Summer had the support of 28 percent of the voters, while 12 percent favored Dill, according to The Portland Press Herald.

King's lead may have decreased in recent weeks as a result of negative advertising from out-of-state groups, such as the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, that criticized King's tenure as governor. A poll conducted for the National Republican Senatorial Committee by GS Strategy Group, which collects and analyzes public opinion information, found that King has a four-point advantage over Summers.

Despite negative advertising and funding difficulties, King's campaign remains positive leading into the last two weeks of the campaign, Smith said.

"Everything is going great, but it's been tough with Super PAC funds," Smith said. "We continue to do well. Our ground game is very strong."

If elected, King could influence which party has a voting majority in the Senate. King's influence would depend on his committee assignments and the party in control of the Senate, according to government professor Russell Muirhead.

"What will be most interesting to see if he is elected is what [King] stands for," Muirhead said. "Will [King] look like a Democrat if he caucuses with the Dems? Or will he stand for a different and more centrist course than the leadership of either party does?"

Government professor Dean Lacy said that King could quickly become one of the most influential and important members of the Senate. King will likely caucus with the Democrats, according to Lacy.

"King's experience as governor and his status as an Independent could put him in a position to broker budget deals," Lacy said.

During his time at Dartmouth, King was involved in student government, radio broadcasting and Casque and Gauntlet and Palaeopitus senior societies, he said.

King said that he met some of his closest friends during his freshman trip and has positive memories of College traditions, including Homecoming weekend.

Friend and classmate Chuck Sherman '66 described King as likeable.

"I'm proud to know someone who's done something for his state, and I'll be proud when he's senator," Sherman said.

Julia Isaacson '15, who interned in King's campaign headquarters this summer, said that King always maintained a professional demeanor while remaining down-to-earth.

"Staff, interns and volunteers with different ideologies, backgrounds and party experience all came together to ensure that we send the right guy to Washington," she said. "It was remarkable to work for [King] because he made you feel like you were part of a team."