Recruiting sees 4,668 applications

The round of recruiting culminating on Sunday included jobs from many of the same companies seen in previous years.

Of the positions offered, 15 required "resume drops" that will be followed by phone interviews. The remaining available positions will be filled following interviews that will take place on campus beginning on Oct. 2.

The most popular and common job opportunities were in the consulting and finance fields, although the pool also included several public sector jobs. While the imbalance has been widely criticized, Wilson said that other job types made available by the College have not proven as popular among students.

Huan He '13, who said he is not interested in finance, said he would prefer diverse opportunities outside of this sector. Marketing and publishing, for example, are not as well represented among the available jobs, he said.

Because he applied only to non-finance jobs, the process seemed less stressful for him than for students focusing on the finance and consulting sectors, He said.

Cole Adams '13 said that much of the stress associated with recruiting results from waiting to apply until just before the deadline.

"It's not a pleasant process, especially for people who apply for 50 different jobs," Adams, who primarily targeted finance jobs, said.

He said that the presence of financial recruiting on campus makes more students want to go into the financial sector, but that the majority of students eventually enter jobs outside of finance and defy the common stereotype that students flock to corporate firms.

Taylor Sipple '13 said that finance appears to be among the more attractive career options.

"The firms pay you well for internships and you get sucked down the path," Sipple said.

Firms that do not traditionally recruit are not as accessible to students, according to Adams, who noted that this year's Employer Connections Fair attempted to raise awareness about other professions and options, including law school.

Career services struggles to diversify recruitment opportunities due to "limited staffing," an issue that Dean of the College Charlotte Johnson is looking to ameliorate by appointing a director of recruitment, according to Wilson. Such a director would enable the two co-directors currently running the office's operations to focus on non-recruiting programs.

While a number of lesser-known companies dropped out of the process for various reasons, many plan on returning, according to Wilson.

The most recent iteration of the recruitment process experienced no major problems, although a number of students came close to the deadline after creating DartBoard accounts late, she said.

DartBoard is the centralized system by which students can view available and apply online.

Members of the Class of 2013 were given the chance before the start of Fall term to meet with advisors from Career Services, which extended its hours and solicited the help of Tuck School of Business students to revise resumes and cover letters.

Services like such workshops and open office hours are among the office's most helpful features, according to He.

"Career Services gives you an edge to help with application materials and interview skills, which helps you navigate the process," He said. "[The process] gave me the opportunity to get started thinking about what I'm doing after college by working on my resume and getting prepared."

Much of the best advice regarding career searches, however, is provided by upperclassmen, according to Adams.

While Career Services can assist with exposure to companies and organizations, "students are just as qualified with helping with cover letters and resumes," Sipple said.

Corporate recruiters often point to the College's strong sense of community and commitment to teamwork as reasons for choosing Dartmouth students over their peers at other institutions, according to one recruiter.

Sunday's deadline marks the first of two recruiting deadlines during Fall term. The next round of recruitment ending on Oct. 7 will offer 50 different internship and job opportunities.