J. Crew, Starbucks to open on Main Street this term

09.04.12.news.jcrew
09.04.12.news.jcrew

News of the businesses' openings has prompted mixed reactions from students and local shop owners interviewed by The Dartmouth. Excitement has been accompanied by concerns regarding these businesses' impacts on other shops and about their relationship with the Dartmouth community.

Dirt Cowboy owner Thomas Guerra said that Starbucks will be "a pretty formidable competitor" to his coffee shop, established in 1993. Guerra described Starbucks as a "soulless entity" that hurts local businesses. Starbucks is a chain that has over 16,000 locations internationally.

"[Starbucks'] primary obligation is to their shareholders," Guerra said. "Mine is to my customers and staff."

Starbucks representatives did not respond to requests for comment.

Guerra anticipates losing business from out-of-town visitors who might be more likely to frequent a coffee shop they recognize than Dirt Cowboy. These customers account for approximately 15 percent of the store's clientele, he said.

However, Guerra said he might not have to worry about losing student customers, who provide approximately 50 percent of the cafe's business.

Even though Starbucks may be more recognizable, shops like King Arthur Flour and Dirt Cowboy have established followings of loyal customers in Hanover, according to Gabby Josebachvili '15.

"I think the cafes on campus are cuter and more local, and I like that better."

In response to Starbucks opening, Dirt Cowboy does not plan to adjust its menu or prices, but the staff is refocusing on customer service, product quality and cleanliness, according to Guerra. The shop also extended its hours earlier this year and is now open from 6:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.

J. Crew will occupy the space previously housing Gap, at 20 South Main Street.

The styles found at J. Crew are better aligned with the overall image of Dartmouth's student body, according to Laura Vang '15. While Michelle Deloison-Baum '15 also said that J. Crew's presence in Hanover will reaffirm the College's "preppy reputation," Andrew Longhi '14 said the store's clothing styles will not appeal to Dartmouth students.

"When I think of the typical Dartmouth student outdoorsy, flannel shirts I don't think J. Crew really fits that mold," he said. "I don't really think J. Crew will be that successful."

Although Julia Berkowitz '14 said she plans to shop at the new J. Crew, she said the price range may discourage some students from shopping at the store.

"I love J. Crew's clothes, but I do feel that J. Crew caters to a certain portion of the student body that can afford more expensive clothes and fits a certain body type," Berkowitz said. "As much as I love J. Crew, there are now no clothing stores in Hanover ... that are decently cheap. I know many students find this limiting."

Representatives from J. Crew could not be reached for comment by press time.

Game Set Mat will offer yoga and tennis clothing, according to owner Susan Valence, who said she decided to pursue the business after hearing members of local tennis and yoga communities comment on the difficulty of finding stylish sportswear. The clothing, designed by from about 20 different small vendors, will fall in the medium to high price range, she said. The store will also offer yoga accessories and tennis shoes.

With the opening of Hanover Yoga, husband-and-wife team Theresa and Mike Mundy hope to marry their two businesses the chiropractic establishment they opened 16 years ago and the yoga studio that will share its location at 68 Lyme Road.

Theresa Mundy teaches yoga in Lyme, Enfield and White River Junction and plans to offer three classes per week at the new studio. She will also rent the space to other yoga instructors, she said.