Daily Debriefing

U.S. News and World Report ranked Dartmouth 10th among its 2013 national university rankings, released Wednesday, according to a College press release. Dartmouth climbed to 10th from its previous spot at 11th. For the fourth consecutive time, Dartmouth ranked first for "strong commitment to undergraduate teaching," sharing the spot with Princeton University, according to the rankings. High school counselors named Dartmouth among their top colleges, along with Harvard University, Cornell University, Johns Hopkins University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Princeton University, Stanford University and Yale University, U.S. News reported. In addition, Dartmouth placed seventh in the "Great Schools at Great Prices" category, which measures the net cost of attendance for a student who receives the school's average level of financial aid assistance.

Former University of Alabama biology professor Amy Bishop pled guilty to shooting and killing three coworkers and wounding three others at a faculty meeting in 2010, The New York Times reported Tuesday. The shooting allegedly took place after Bishop was denied tenure, ending her employment with the university. Bishop had previously pled not guilty by reason of insanity to one count of capital murder and three counts of attempted murder, according to The Times. Prosecutors suggested a sentence of life imprisonment without parole and three additional life sentences. Sentencing is scheduled for Sept. 24 at the Madison County Circuit Court. Bishop's guilty plea has led to a new investigation of a case that had been ruled an accident in 1986, when Bishop told the police that she had accidentally shot and killed her teenage brother, according to The Times.

The Swarthmore College chapter of Kappa Alpha Theta sorority the first sorority to open on Swarthmore's campus since students voted to ban sororities in 1933 will admit its newest class in the spring, Inside Higher Education reported. Four female students, who formed a group called Not Yet Sisters in 2011 to expand Swarthmore's social scene for women, are leading the effort to bring sororities back to the campus, according to Inside Higher Ed. Since there are already two fraternities on campus, the group claims that barring sororities violates Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, which requires colleges to provide men and women with equal educational and extracurricular opportunities. Students who oppose the reintroduction of sororities circulated an online petition in August to encourage a campus-wide vote on the matter after the Swarthmore Student Council rejected holding such a referendum in early 2012, according to Inside Higher Ed.