Daily Debriefing

Former College President Jim Yong Kim, who assumed his post as World Bank President on July 1, said that the Bank is on "sound financial footing" and is prepared to meet international demand for loans, Bloomberg News reported. In a departure from his predecessor, Robert Zoellick, Kim said that the Bank is willing to support developed economies like Greece with technical expertise. In a memo to Bank employees, Kim said that he seeks to prioritize "consistent and open engagement between the staff and the president," Bloomberg reported. Some experts have voiced concern that Kim will not be able to adjust quickly enough to his new job, suggesting that his lack of experience in international economics will result in a "steep learning curve," according to Bloomberg. Unlike most previous World Bank presidents, who have extensive backgrounds in finance and government, Kim is trained as a physician.

Eight of the nine Massachusetts State Universities have approved fee increases averaging six percent, while universities in the separate University of Massachusetts system will increase fees by 4.9 percent, according to The Boston Globe. The increases will significantly impact students from low-income families, The Globe reported. University officials attribute the hikes to declines in state funding. Although fees at state universities have more than tripled to an average of $6,373 in the past decade, annual tuition has remained steady and is under $1,000 at most schools. Room and board costs have also climbed steadily. Gov. Deval Patrick, D-Mass., voiced concern over the University of Massachusetts system fee hikes earlier this month, citing the state's current economic situation, The Globe reported. Many of the state universities will allocate additional funding to financial aid, as fees are especially difficult for students who are paying for college themselves. Students may not notice the increased cost in education because tuition has not increased, The Globe reported.

A Western Nevada College student filed suit in a U.S. District Court against the university president and two faculty members, claiming that several aspects of her class on human sexuality constituted sexual harassment, ABC News reported. The class required students to masturbate and keep journals detailing their sexual activities. After the student, Karen Royce, spoke with the professor about her concerns and did not receive a response, she approached college authorities, who conducted an investigation that did not substantiate Royce's accusations of sexual harassment. Royce appealed to the U. S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights in December, which deferred to the university's decision. In June, Royce filed suit against course professorTom Kubistant, department chair Robert Morin and university president Carol Lucey.